Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   '92 940gl (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/92-940gl-99846/)

940gnome 05-06-2019 05:32 AM

'92 940gl

I am hoping to resolve a few issues with my '92 940gl rex/regina non turbo.
First issue is I have to give it gas to keep it from stalling. It runs fine if I keep my foot on the pedal but will die if I let off of it.
The next issue is it had acceleration issues. It seems to be a sensor possibly. I have to very slowly push in on the accelerator before it catches up and start to accelerate.
Any suggestions would help.
Thanks!

dytha99 05-06-2019 07:31 AM

Test the fuel pressure.

SwedishBrick 05-06-2019 10:28 AM

Well, it's not a spark issue, because you're getting ignition. I doubt it's a sensor either. As dytha99 said, check the fuel pressure. It sounds like a fuel delivery issue, so I would also check the fuel filter as well. A clogged filter can cause acceleration issues. Also, check your air filter too. Oftentimes it's the simplest things that can cause big issues. Check the fuel pressure, fuel filter and air filter, and report back.

lev 05-09-2019 03:26 PM

Idle control valve comes to mind for the bad idle, I'd clean it. The stumble is most likely a fuel issue, the fuel pump pressure. Fuel filter and air filter have nothing to do with the symptoms you describe.

940gnome 05-09-2019 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by lev (Post 473512)
Idle control valve comes to mind for the bad idle, I'd clean it. The stumble is most likely a fuel issue, the fuel pump pressure. Fuel filter and air filter have nothing to do with the symptoms you describe.

Thanks, yes I agree that there is a fuel issue. It has a new fuel pump and is the correct type for the rex/ regina system. Will have to test the pressure next.

940gnome 05-09-2019 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by SwedishBrick (Post 473424)
Well, it's not a spark issue, because you're getting ignition. I doubt it's a sensor either. As dytha99 said, check the fuel pressure. It sounds like a fuel delivery issue, so I would also check the fuel filter as well. A clogged filter can cause acceleration issues. Also, check your air filter too. Oftentimes it's the simplest things that can cause big issues. Check the fuel pressure, fuel filter and air filter, and report back.

Thanks for the input, I agree its probably a fuel issue. It has a new fuel pump even after initially putting a bosch primer pump in it I was able to figure that out and install the correct pump. Still should check the pressure I guess. Thanks again.

SwedishBrick 05-09-2019 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by 940gnome (Post 473521)
Thanks for the input, I agree its probably a fuel issue. It has a new fuel pump even after initially putting a bosch primer pump in it I was able to figure that out and install the correct pump. Still should check the pressure I guess. Thanks again.

You're welcome. With all due respect, as opposed to what lev said, I have seen stalling and bogging issues on both acceleration and deceleration that was directly caused by a clogged fuel filter. Given that you have already replaced the fuel pump, the next thing to check would be the fuel filter. Check the fuel pressure, but be mindful that a clogged filter could cause the reading to be off. Additionally, if the fuel filter is actually clogged, it can also impart unneeded stress on the fuel pump, which can cause it to prematurely wear out as well. It's important to check both the pressure (fuel pump) and the filter. I am not saying 100% that the filter is your issue, but I am a fan of checking the simple things before digging deeper and/or spending more time and money on things that may not need to be looked at or replaced. Regardless, we can all agree that it's a fuel delivery issue, so check those things first. Best of luck to you.

lev 05-10-2019 11:05 AM

Clogged fuel filter will cause problems under high fuel demand, as when running at high speed or under heavy acceleration. I know it's one of those maintenance items we think about but in reality it needs changing quite rarely--this is my own experience wrenching on cars since 1972 and heavily into Volvos since 1986. I am not saying that a FF can never be an issue, just that it is much less of a possible cause than often believed; this is of course under circumstances where there is no reason to suspect contamination from rust, long time lack of use, etc.

940gnome 05-10-2019 11:19 AM

Thanks, I replaced the fuel filter recently. I think a fuel condition is probably the culprit though. Its actually been getting worse the last couple of months, just from start is just bogus down until it catches up with itself and then goes fine

mt6127 05-10-2019 04:33 PM

the problem is fuel metering so if its not fuel delivery then its time to check the air - I'd spray around for possible intake air leaks - boots, vacuum lines etc too. I'm assuming you have some 25 year old rubber under the hood?

Also when was the last time you did the plugs/wires/rotor? If you wires are over 5 years old, its not a bad idea to replace just to baseline the ignition while sorting out the fuel metering.