Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   92 Estate Wagon (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/92-estate-wagon-98996/)

NDvolvo240 01-30-2019 09:32 AM

92 Estate Wagon

Hello, I am at a crossroad. I’ve had my wagon in the garage for three years. The motor leaks oil out of every orifice it seems, likely due to the fire trap being plugged. It just dawned on me, should I pull the motor and have it rebuilt? The body is in great shape and has potential. I know I’m not getting my money back out of it, but in order to properly fix it, it seems pulling the motor is the right thing to do. It has to get done this year or I need to get rid of it. Worth the expense? I have the resources to get it done, just maybe not the commitment.

pierce 01-30-2019 12:39 PM

if all it needs is seals, there's no point in pulling the motor. fix the oil trap, replace the camshaft and crankshaft seals, and maybe the intermediate shaft seal, and you're probably good to go. only the rear crankshaft seal will require droppping the transmission, i'd fix all the others first and see if that one remains a problem.

NDvolvo240 01-30-2019 01:48 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned the rear main seal is most definitely blown. I bought the car from a friend who lived a block from my. They said it ran but leaked a lot of oil. I foolishly just filled it with oil and drove it home. It dumped a crazy amount of oil out in that short trip.

jagtoes 01-30-2019 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by NDvolvo240 (Post 470001)
Hey, thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned the rear main seal is most definitely blown. I bought the car from a friend who lived a block from my. They said it ran but leaked a lot of oil. I foolishly just filled it with oil and drove it home. It dumped a crazy amount of oil out in that short trip.

I got a leak in my rear main on my 89 740. It happened at about 100K when the flame trap plugged. Same with the front crank which I repaired. I left the rear as I just don't feel like pulling the transmission. Used a few bottles of some seal leak stop but it is at a drip level now. So I have 375K on it now and it still drips a bit but not a problem.

lev 01-30-2019 08:48 PM

Fix the PCV first, the leaks may go away completely, will definitely get smaller. Then fix what's still leaking.

act1292 01-31-2019 06:06 AM

Are you sure that the large oil leak is coming from the rear main seal? A common problem when the flame trap gets clogged is the rear cam plug blows out. This plug is up on the head and leaves a large hole when it blows. All this oil will drip down the rear of the engine.

jagtoes 01-31-2019 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by act1292 (Post 470035)
Are you sure that the large oil leak is coming from the rear main seal? A common problem when the flame trap gets clogged is the rear cam plug blows out. This plug is up on the head and leaves a large hole when it blows. All this oil will drip down the rear of the engine.

Yep good catch here . I had to replace mine too so it is one of the areas that blows out with a clogged flame trap.