Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   Air Conditioning Not Working (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/air-conditioning-not-working-96996/)

tbuchan 07-10-2018 08:36 PM

Air Conditioning Not Working

Hello,

Need a little help here.
My air conditioning doesn't work and wondering the step by step process in order to try and fix it.

The compressor will kick on if the relay is bypassed

Could this be a broken/cracked relay and or a burnt out fuse?

Any information would be great.

Thanks

jagtoes 07-10-2018 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by tbuchan (Post 462139)
Hello,

Need a little help here.
My air conditioning doesn't work and wondering the step by step process in order to try and fix it.

The compressor will kick on if the relay is bypassed

Could this be a broken/cracked relay and or a burnt out fuse?

Any information would be great.

Thanks

I would suggest that you 1st get a set of AC gauges hooked up to the system and see what the reading are. Based on those results the next step can be determined. If low on freon then either a top off or a search for the leak. If system is up to proper charge then we need to look other places. Do the gauges 1st.

tony1963 07-11-2018 07:37 AM

Agree with above.

tbuchan 07-12-2018 11:06 AM

The only way to get the compressor to turn on is to skip the relay all together.
So would the gauges need to be testing if the compressor isnt working?

jagtoes 07-12-2018 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by tbuchan (Post 462196)
The only way to get the compressor to turn on is to skip the relay all together.
So would the gauges need to be testing if the compressor isnt working?

The gauges would tell you if you have any freon in the system regardless if the compressor is on or not. One of the typical reasons for a compressor to not turn on is low or lack of freon in the system. Gauges would tell you this.

tony1963 07-12-2018 12:50 PM

I am in total awe of the number of people who try to diagnose an AC system with a screw driver and a monkey wrench. You need a set of gauges and a basic understanding of both electric currents and refrigeration.

Without either, you are guessing and shooting what is known as the "parts cannon". Heaven forbid you spend a few bucks getting a proper diagnosis.

I propose that we no longer give AC advice in this forum.

dytha99 07-12-2018 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by tony1963 (Post 462202)
I am in total awe of the number of people who try to diagnose an AC system with a screw driver and a monkey wrench. You need a set of gauges and a basic understanding of both electric currents and refrigeration.

Without either, you are guessing and shooting what is known as the "parts cannon". Heaven forbid you spend a few bucks getting a proper diagnosis.

I propose that we no longer give AC advice in this forum.

If ya live in central Ohio my advice would be...just rip it all out ( weight reduction...better mpg ). Leave the parts laying in the alley and some scraper will be along to pick it up.

Done it a coulda times now.

tony1963 07-12-2018 07:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The simple fact is that the pre-1991 240s have a very limited AC system and will never keep up in a hot climate, anything over 85 degrees without a redesign. As a dealer selling Volvos for 20 years here in Birmingham AL, I can tell you that while I used to sell the dog out of those things, the AC was not up to par.

For all of the trouble trying to get an old 240 to cool down, you could buy a more modern Volvo that could refrigerate the State of Alabama.

silvermine 07-13-2018 07:54 AM

lol the ac in mine doesn't work ... but i have an alternative... 4 power windows that DO work;)

jagtoes 07-13-2018 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by tony1963 (Post 462230)
The simple fact is that the pre-1991 240s have a very limited AC system and will never keep up in a hot climate, anything over 85 degrees without a redesign. As a dealer selling Volvos for 20 years here in Birmingham AL, I can tell you that while I used to sell the dog out of those things, the AC was not up to par.

For all of the trouble trying to get an old 240 to cool down, you could buy a more modern Volvo that could refrigerate the State of Alabama.

Tony I surmise those looking to repair their old Volvo's are here to find out how and are not interested in buying anything newer. Assuming that the best we could do is to provide info on how they can fix the problem. Some will spend the money and others will live without unless it affects the safety of the car. My 2 cents.

tony1963 07-13-2018 08:52 AM

The thread that starts with "hey, my AC doesn't work, what do you think is wrong with it" gets old. Plus, trying to get cold air out of those old 240s is time not well spent, in my opinion.

While the old 240 has a following, the AC system on those pre-1991 models is not capable of keeping up with a hot climate, period. So, the best that I can recommend is a newer model that will run circles around that old 240.

xactorocker 07-14-2018 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes (Post 462140)
I would suggest that you 1st get a set of AC gauges hooked up to the system and see what the reading are. Based on those results the next step can be determined. If low on freon then either a top off or a search for the leak. If system is up to proper charge then we need to look other places. Do the gauges 1st.

hey how do you you see how much freon your ac has in it

tony1963 07-14-2018 07:58 PM

I am going to refer you to a licensed repair facility to perform any more diagnosis. While we are happy to help, I have concerns that you do not have the experience to properly hook up a set of gauges. The system can have up to 400 lbs on the high side and that's dangerous if you are not trained.

My suggestion is to seek professional help.

jagtoes 07-14-2018 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by xactorocker (Post 462326)
hey how do you you see how much freon your ac has in it

Read my post again and where it says hook up a set of gauges stop after you do that. The pressure readings will tell you what you have or have not.

xactorocker 07-14-2018 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by tony1963 (Post 462334)
I am going to refer you to a licensed repair facility to perform any more diagnosis. While we are happy to help, I have concerns that you do not have the experience to properly hook up a set of gauges. The system can have up to 400 lbs on the high side and that's dangerous if you are not trained.

My suggestion is to seek professional help.

ah ok thanks must have read that wrong the first time. Thank you