Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   B23 pistons, 96.5 mm, oversize needed! (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/b23-pistons-96-5-mm-oversize-needed-68843/)

Eik Braun-Ottosen 02-04-2013 11:26 PM

B23 pistons, 96.5 mm, oversize needed!

1 Attachment(s)
Hi friends,

my friend borrowed my car, while I was in Europe and blow up the engine due to no coolant, nevertheless love the car its a 1984, only 57K miles, one owner and only had it for 6 months, found in a garage in Hollywood!

So ... I need a set of pistons w rings off course.

Anyone?

I am situated in LA

Thanks in advance,

lev 02-05-2013 10:50 AM

Well, OK, you could get those PISTONS AND RINGS but your problems would be far from over. You should better detail the "blow up" your engine suffered, as this term is a misnomer, may be a "melt down" would be more accurate after "no coolant"? After such a meltdown, chances are you damaged a lot more than just pistons and rings. If it was my car I intended to keep, I would source another motor, NOT try rebuilding this one--the longevity and costs would be much better.

pierce 02-05-2013 11:45 AM

or it could just need a head gasket, and maybe a new head, this is far more likely.

Titan Joe 02-08-2013 01:36 AM

or a new friend how knows how to keep coolant in the car. The engine went from 57k to worse than 500k if the rings fell apart and had loose hard ring material floating around atop the pistons. It depends if your friend drove it around much after they knew something was wrong. You can find new rings and pistons at FCPeuro.com. I like dealing with them.

Eik Braun-Ottosen 02-08-2013 04:27 PM

Smile, thanks

I know retarded friend, but cant change whats done! It seems like only way to get those pistons is from Sweden, no one have the in the oversize 96.5 in the US? Not fcpeuro.com or IPD ...

But thanks for your help guys,

pierce 02-08-2013 04:50 PM

I have to agree with Titan and Lev... if it got sufficient damage to need pistons, you'd be much better off finding a clean engine from a junkyard. any 240/740/940 B230F engine will do.

Eik Braun-Ottosen 02-09-2013 01:10 PM

its a B23 ... my mechanic here in Venice, CA ... says its smarter to rebuild it? He says you never know about those junkyard engines ... but I guess what you guys says make sense? Its also 3.000 USD too rebuild it ...
I already paid 1000 in deposit, Ill call him on monday to cancel it ... and find a used engine

lev 02-09-2013 01:36 PM

$3K to rebuild it? No wonder he badmouths junkyard engines...

pierce 02-09-2013 03:15 PM

a b230f engine will drop in... you could either continue to use your old K-Jet, or with a bit more work transplant the newer LH stuff on it.

do be careful in California, however. if you put a newer model year engine in an older car, you're supposed to put ALL the new engines smog control systems with it, and then have to take the car to a referee station and have it certified as the smog year of the new engine. OTOH, dropping a B230F block into your existing B23F system, its probably invisible, as the differences are entirely internal (and AFAIK, no smog station checks the engine block serial number on an old car).

if you get an engine off a 740/940, it will have the distributor on the back of the camshaft, but there's a simple plug for that, and you can remove a cover plate where the 240 side-of-block distributor mounts, and it bolts right up.

you do NOT want a B230FT block, they have way lower compression and will perform very poorly without a turbo to boost the compression back up.

A later B230F would be slightly better as they improved the main bearings, and the last version L blocks in 1994/1995 have additional oil squirters to cool the piston skirts so they are more durable.