Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   Buying a 240 today! (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/buying-240-today-95418/)

Capo 02-07-2018 02:03 AM

Buying a 240 today!

Hey, guys. I'm new to the forums, and I'm heading to buy my first Volvo today. It's a gold 1991 Volvo 240.

I'm just looking for suggestions on things to check before making the purchase such as common problems. I will be checking all fluids to make sure they're filled to the correct level, and in good condition.

Some common issues I'm aware of are bad engine and transmission mounts, and fuel pumps. Is there anything else I should be looking for? Any info and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have a good bit of repair experience, and I'm pretty confident I can change the pumps and mounts if needed. I'll also be doing a full tuneup and oil change as soon as I get the car home. This will probably include a new timing belt as well. I'm mostly worried about any major problems to look out for.

dytha99 02-07-2018 02:46 AM

240 260 buying tips

http://www.volvotips.com/index.php/240-260/volvo-240-260-buying-tips/

Capo 02-07-2018 03:25 AM

Thanks for the link! That's a ton of info! I really appreciate it. That's a lot to go through in less than a day, though!

silvermine 02-07-2018 05:50 AM

make sure the blower fan works! the entire dashboard needs to come out to replace it:eek:

good luck!

Capo 02-07-2018 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by silvermine (Post 456329)
make sure the blower fan works! the entire dashboard needs to come out to replace it:eek:

good luck!

Thanks for the tip! I live in Michigan so I'm gonna be freezing my butt off if it's not working! Lol

The seller just messaged me and told me she took it to a mechanic to have it looked over yesterday in preparation for selling it to me today. The mechanic said it lightly leaks power steering fluid when the wheel is turned all the way left or right. It also has a "loose wheel bearing" and a small exhaust leak. On the bright side, she dropped the price by $200 because of it. The only thing I'm slightly worried about is the power steering issue. Would that be an easy fix?

silvermine 02-07-2018 12:19 PM

i would never not buy a 240 because of a slight power steering leak. exhausts are cheap online as well (starla). loose wheel bearing ..hmm.. doesn't sound right but anyway cheap if you need to replace. i would look for other things like if the timing belt was done any oil or coolant leaks. (and the blower fan!) if it is an automatic make sure the overdrive works ie trans shifts into 4th gear..

TnBob 02-07-2018 04:24 PM

Use the proper line wrenches on the PS pump. A lot have a filter in the fluid container.

The lines are cheeep and easy

Capo 02-08-2018 02:08 PM

Thanks for the info, guys! Got the car home last night. Made the 2 hour trip back home without skipping a beat. I absolutely love it.

A couple issues I've seen so far:

The power windows do not work. All 4 of them. Where should I start with this?

​​The button to switch the blower to feet doesn't seem to fully work. The whole drive home my toes were pretty much frozen. It definitely partially works, as turning it on helped a little, but it blows pretty weak on my feet.

Heated seats don't seem to be working. This isn't really a big deal to me, but it would be really cool to have working if it's an easy fix.

One of my rear light assemblies stopped working halfway home. I gave it a good wack and they came back on. I'm assuming I just need to clean up the connectors on it.

Capo 02-08-2018 02:11 PM

Thanks for the info, guys! Got the car home last night. Made the 2 hour trip back home without skipping a beat. I absolutely love it.

A couple issues I've seen so far:

The power windows do not work. All 4 of them. Where should I start with this?

​​The button to switch the blower to feet doesn't seem to fully work. The whole drive home my toes were pretty much frozen. It definitely partially works, as turning it on helped a little, but it blows pretty weak on my feet.

Heated seats don't seem to be working. This isn't really a big deal to me, but it would be really cool to have working if it's an easy fix.

One of my rear light assemblies stopped working halfway home. I gave it a good wack and they came back on. I'm assuming I just need to clean up the connectors on it.

Other than that it's perfect. The exhaust leak isn't bad at all, and I didn't hear anything that even remotely sounded like a bad wheel bearing.

Island Drive 02-13-2018 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by silvermine (Post 456329)

good luck!

Anytime one plans to R&R a fan motor. First, ck all dash warning bulbs for proper operation before going in that deep for a repair. And if there are some that are out, replace as needed inform tech before repairs begin. Don't want to have to go '' back in'' because of one bulb still out.