Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   Can’t find the In-dash ground connection please help!!!! (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/can%92t-find-dash-ground-connection-please-help-98837/)

Rwood604 01-13-2019 10:37 AM

Can’t find the In-dash ground connection please help!!!!

i am having a really strange problem, I picked up an 84’ 244 dL and for two years the car ran great until I ran into an alternator issue and I would die when driving. Since that time I replaced the alternator TWICE, the fuel pressure sender , every component of the charging system practically is new. The car seems to charge for about two minutes at the correct voltage for roughly two minutes but with a horrific electrical whining noise that revs up. It sounds like it’s coming from the power steering pump side though... eventually the whining subsided and then all of my dash lights turn on suggesting an alternator or charging problem from what I have read thus far. I am effing stumped. And tired of throwing money at a 400$ car (although it does only have 135k miles and the body is in excellent condition) so I would like to drive it around and have fun with the RWD which is what I bought it for.

If if you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated, or if you know exactly where the behind the dashboard ground wire is located that would help me as well. I have cleaned every ground I can find. But can’t seem to find that one.

pierce 01-13-2019 10:54 AM

on a 240, the dashboard has two grounds, one on each side of the transmission hump, just about where the center console meets the hump. one is used for signal stuff, and the other for power stuff.

I had charging problems on a 240 when the ground wire to the alternator rotted through, you couldn't see it but there was barely a sstrand left intact inside the insulation... the diagnostic that showed this was a problem was to connect a volt meter between the alternator body and the battery negative terminal while the engine was running... any voltage between those two above a few 100ths of a volt suggests a bad ground.

but, loud mechanical squeal in the belts/pumps area? fix that beforee proceeding with much else.

Rwood604 01-13-2019 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 469338)
on a 240, the dashboard has two grounds, one on each side of the transmission hump, just about where the center console meets the hump. one is used for signal stuff, and the other for power stuff.

I had charging problems on a 240 when the ground wire to the alternator rotted through, you couldn't see it but there was barely a sstrand left intact inside the insulation... the diagnostic that showed this was a problem was to connect a volt meter between the alternator body and the battery negative terminal while the engine was running... any voltage between those two above a few 100ths of a volt suggests a bad ground.

but, loud mechanical squeal in the belts/pumps area? fix that beforee proceeding with much else.

it it is not the belts it is an electrical whining noise as if the power steering pump is running wildly or something. A distinct electrical noise.o have sprayed the belt connected with some water with no squeaking on the belt, and it is a way different sound. The reason I think it may be ground related is because the electrical noise goes away and as soon as it goes away all of my instrument cluster lights come on. I have noticied also a slight flicker in the charging system light while the noise persists. Thank you for the help on the ground locations. Any other help would be greatly appreciated

pierce 01-13-2019 11:39 AM

the power steering pump is purely mechanical

jagtoes 01-13-2019 12:14 PM

What voltage are you reading at the battery with the engine running.

Rwood604 01-13-2019 03:26 PM

Jagtoes

14 while whining then it drops to 12.62 when all the instrument cluster lights pop on.

Rwood604 01-13-2019 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 469340)
the power steering pump is purely mechanical

Thanks so the electrical whining is not coming from there. I am trying to telescope with a piece of hosing to pinpoint the sound. If it’s the alternator again then there has to be something else wrong that is making the alternators go bad, as I refurbished the original Bosch, no luck, bought an autozone (no idea why) no luck, and then currently it’s a db Electric .

pierce 01-13-2019 04:27 PM

the alternator is mounted on a bracket that acts as the belt tensioner, this bracket pivots on a couple rubber bushings, when those bushings get worn, the alternator sits at an angle. I recommend replacing those bushings with poly, it lasts longer. I believe the AC compressor also is on a similar bracket, and uses the same bushings...
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/4762...unting-bushing

Rwood604 01-13-2019 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 469358)
the alternator is mounted on a bracket that acts as the belt tensioner, this bracket pivots on a couple rubber bushings, when those bushings get worn, the alternator sits at an angle. I recommend replacing those bushings with poly, it lasts longer. I believe the AC compressor also is on a similar bracket, and uses the same bushings...
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/4762...unting-bushing

thanks Pierce 🙏 now that I am looking at it the alternator does look like it is slightly off kilter leaning back. Wish I had found this forum months ago. On the bright side, all my charging components are brand new 😂.

Zombi 04-02-2019 07:40 PM

More on the subject of grounds. The two bundles of interior grounds are located on the transmission tunnel, which necessitates seat and carpet removal to get at them?
On the rear of an instrument cluster in a 1987 245 are these two male spade terminals for ground? Two loose wires were found, the red white for the non existant tach, and an orange wire with a female spade connector that we are having a hard time with the Bently finding it's purpose It has 5.4 volts.. . While cleaning lightning connections in search of why cluster illumination lights don't function we found the ground wasn't functional on the large female pin connector. . Rheostat checks out, center light on ac cluster works, yet fog lamp indicator does not illuminate. Nor does transmission selector illumination lamp. I will find out if the culprit lurks in the ground bundles.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...9c10ddf721.jpg

act1292 04-03-2019 06:05 AM

Those male spades are not for grounds. They output pulses from the ITT UAF2115 chip on you speedometer. The only time a wire should be connected to this one that runs to your cruise control. If you don't have cruise control, nothing should be connected here.

Under NO circumstances should you connect the red/white wire to this spot. Many people find the red/white wire disconnected in their dash and connect it here and end up frying their speedometer.

Zombi 04-03-2019 08:08 AM

I may have joined that legion of the lost. Thank you for getting back.

act1292 04-04-2019 05:41 AM

All is not lost. You can fix it if you are good with a soldering iron. When I did it, I managed to replace the 2115 chip in my speedometer and get it working again.