Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   cold start after 6 years saga (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/cold-start-after-6-years-saga-98733/)

bunchman 12-31-2018 09:43 PM

cold start after 6 years saga

Hello fellow Volvo peeps bunchman here. I shouldn't really call it a saga it's really just a continuance of my enjoyment in tinkering with my 1985 Volvo 245 DL wagon. okay here we go I recently replaced the brake booster and it was one of the toughest things to ever get off of the car that being the nut closest to the middle on top. Anyways to make a long story short, I got it off and I put on the aftermarket booster that I bought & when I put it back together and hooked it up to the master cylinder (which I did not replace) the brake light was on and I could not figure out how to adjust it to get the brake light to go off can anybody help me and direct me on how to adjust this so that I can get the brake light to turn off instead of having to pull out the fuse each time I stop the car. as always any input would be greatly appreciated thank you.

jagtoes 01-01-2019 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by bunchman (Post 468947)
Hello fellow Volvo peeps bunchman here. I shouldn't really call it a saga it's really just a continuance of my enjoyment in tinkering with my 1985 Volvo 245 DL wagon. okay here we go I recently replaced the brake booster and it was one of the toughest things to ever get off of the car that being the nut closest to the middle on top. Anyways to make a long story short, I got it off and I put on the aftermarket booster that I bought & when I put it back together and hooked it up to the master cylinder (which I did not replace) the brake light was on and I could not figure out how to adjust it to get the brake light to go off can anybody help me and direct me on how to adjust this so that I can get the brake light to turn off instead of having to pull out the fuse each time I stop the car. as always any input would be greatly appreciated thank you.

I would look at the brake fluid reservoir level float or the proportional valve.

lev 01-01-2019 11:06 AM

Brake pedal may be sticky, spring weak activating the switch? Try pulling the pedal up to see if the lights turn off.

bunchman 01-02-2019 08:37 PM

proportional valve

What's that? Proportional valve?

act1292 01-03-2019 06:00 AM

I believe this is what jagtoes is referring to:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...-volvo-1273052

If you follow the brake lines down from the master cylinder, you'll see it goes into this "octopus" which distributes the fluid to the respective slave cylinders. It is a dual circuit system with two lines coming from the master cylinder and six lines going to the slave cylinders - 2 apiece to the front calipers. Inside this valve is a switch so that if the pressure is unbalanced between the two circuits, it switches on the brake light on the dash. If the brake light is on on your dash, then more than likely you have a leak in one of the lines going to the calipers. Before replacing the above part, I would re-bleed all of the brakes and see if that helps.

jagtoes 01-03-2019 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by act1292 (Post 468999)
I believe this is what jagtoes is referring to:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...-volvo-1273052

If you follow the brake lines down from the master cylinder, you'll see it goes into this "octopus" which distributes the fluid to the respective slave cylinders. It is a dual circuit system with two lines coming from the master cylinder and six lines going to the slave cylinders - 2 apiece to the front calipers. Inside this valve is a switch so that if the pressure is unbalanced between the two circuits, it switches on the brake light on the dash. If the brake light is on on your dash, then more than likely you have a leak in one of the lines going to the calipers. Before replacing the above part, I would re-bleed all of the brakes and see if that helps.

You got it . A quick test is to pull the connector off of the unit and see if your light goes out. All it is is a a ground which completes the light circuit. A small piston (valve) shifts inside if there is unequal brake pressure .

bunchman 01-04-2019 06:51 AM

saga continues

okay ood morning fellow Volvo peeps it appears as though the brake light issue has taken care of itself after the passenger side brake light went out I replaced it with another bulb and when I went to turn it on the brake lights were off until I turn them on now comes the issue it starts right away and then it turns itself off very much like another post that I read is it the thermostat because I've replaced the mass air flow sensor and I cleaned the idle air control valve, clean the throttle body could it be the thermostat? I have one coming in a few days As always, all input is appreciated. Thanks, bunchman

jagtoes 01-04-2019 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by bunchman (Post 469027)
okay ood morning fellow Volvo peeps it appears as though the brake light issue has taken care of itself after the passenger side brake light went out I replaced it with another bulb and when I went to turn it on the brake lights were off until I turn them on now comes the issue it starts right away and then it turns itself off very much like another post that I read is it the thermostat because I've replaced the mass air flow sensor and I cleaned the idle air control valve, clean the throttle body could it be the thermostat? I have one coming in a few days As always, all input is appreciated. Thanks, bunchman

I guess you need to be more descriptive on what your problems are. When you said your brake light came on we ASSUMED it was a brake failure light and not a rear brake tail light. So try to be more to the point of the problem. If you replaced a bulb and the light worked then it stands to reason either the bulb was bad or the bulb socket was intermittent.

pierce 01-04-2019 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by bunchman (Post 469027)

could you use a bit of punctuation? maybe a paragraph break or two? first you're talking about brake lights, then something about starting and stalling ?

the thermostat is in the cooling system, a bad thermostat would cause the motor to either get too hot, or never get fully warmed up, but it wouldn't cause starting and stalling problems.

lev 01-04-2019 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 469040)
could you use a bit of punctuation? maybe a paragraph break or two? first you're talking about brake lights, then something about starting and stalling ?

the thermostat is in the cooling system, a bad thermostat would cause the motor to either get too hot, or never get fully warmed up, but it wouldn't cause starting and stalling problems.

Good point all around!
"Let's eat Grandma!" vs "Let's eat, Grandma!" Bad grammar can kill!

bunchman 01-05-2019 09:31 AM

Forgive me for my lack of punctuation. Personally I find that offensive because my mom is an English major and I have always been very careful to punctuate correctly and to use the English language correctly. I'm just excited to have found a group of gentlemen that are willing to assist me with my car. Your point about run-on sentences though is duly noted. I will try to contain my excitement and enthusiasm from here forward. Seriously, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to comment and advise. What's next?

lev 01-05-2019 10:26 AM

You have to go around your village, on foot, Volvoless, and wear a tall cone hat with a "G" on it!

Other than that, good for you for taking criticism so well! This has happened here, and on other forums many times before, and the guilty party usually is offended by the grammar elitists and huffs away never to be seen again and never appreciating the lesson.

bunchman 01-05-2019 10:53 AM

Perhaps I am a junior member but I have found my village. My tribe!!! Volvo nation!!! Volvo nation!!! Volvo nation!!! Mutton for all!!!!!!