Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   Cold starting misfires & uneven running (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/cold-starting-misfires-uneven-running-14306/)

JohnB 10-11-2007 01:00 PM

Cold starting misfires & uneven running

I have 1983 240GLE. Starting problem. When first start for the day the car runs very roughly.Under load it misfires & is very uneven. After about 5 minutes of this it then runsOK. This only occurs on first start of the day. Other starts during the day are OK. Can you help please. I checked plugs and they were covered with black soot that was easy to clean off.??

tripleb 10-13-2007 04:19 PM

RE: Cold starting misfires & uneven running

I can't remember if you have the CI or LH system, I think it is a mid year change for 83.

CI has mechanical injectors, LH has electronic injectors.

Either way, check for vacuum leaks, especially if you have a CI car.

B

JohnB 10-13-2007 04:52 PM

Thanks. The Owners Manual says car hasa CI Fuel Injection System.The Engine Type is B 23 E (Aus). The Chassis info shows the car was manufactured in Nov 1983.
What othe choices do you suggest I consider to track this down..

tripleb 10-14-2007 08:18 PM

If you have CI, then be sure to check for vac. leaks, especially around the injectors. When the engine is warmed up, get a water bottle and squirt water around the injectors and if they are leaking, the engine will stumble and possibly die.

There is an o-ring on each injector, and an o-ring on the injector seat. If they are leaking, replace all of them and the seats at the same time. It's a good idea to clean the injectors at the same time, but it helps to have the special tool. Most older European cars used the same injectors, so any shop that works on them may charge you a small feel to clean them for you.

Make sure your plugs, wires, cap and rotor are ok.

Make sure the idle switch is adjusted properly.

Let us know how those things check out.

B

JohnB 10-22-2007 08:30 PM

Hi. The injectors were 24 years old and in need of a clean. So I decided to replace them all & and also o-rings.I also replaced the spark plugs ...even though they were only 2000kms old.
That did the trick .... now runs as it should. Thanks for advice.
What I think happened is that maybe there were leaks around the seals. By replacing them all the leaks disappeared. Also, the injectors were not giving a good spray. Rather than spend money cleaning old injectors I decided to make sure and replace them.It cost a bit more but better than finishing up with a half baked answer that is almost right. Thanks.

buckquark 10-28-2007 12:30 AM

yay now i know whats wrong with my car after reading this. thanks guys! :)