Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   Exhaust Fix 89 240DL (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/exhaust-fix-89-240dl-45232/)

palerider 09-04-2010 11:33 PM

Exhaust Fix 89 240DL

Hello All,
I have a 89 240 and the exhaust pipe below the manifold where the two pipes turns into one gave way. The weld broke and I was driving for a week with a busted weld. It sounded like a Cessna airplane. I found a pipe for it at Advance Auto for $115.00 and it fit like a glove, only problem was it had a hole for the 02 sensor and the catalytic converter already had one. That was no big fix. After driving that day my check engine light came on, I think it could be the 02 sensor not getting exhaust. My question is where do I reset/clear the computer. i see the place where you test it but don't see the reset.

volvoguy2323 09-05-2010 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by palerider (Post 234304)
Hello All,
I have a 89 240 and the exhaust pipe below the manifold where the two pipes turns into one gave way. The weld broke and I was driving for a week with a busted weld. It sounded like a Cessna airplane. I found a pipe for it at Advance Auto for $115.00 and it fit like a glove, only problem was it had a hole for the 02 sensor and the catalytic converter already had one. That was no big fix. After driving that day my check engine light came on, I think it could be the 02 sensor not getting exhaust. My question is where do I reset/clear the computer. i see the place where you test it but don't see the reset.

Driver side fire wall little black box. remove cover and take prong out and insert into hole #2. Hold button down for 2 seconds and release. You will see a seriers of flashes example..1 1 1 which means system is good. O2 sensor code is 2 3 2. Make sure you repeat until all codes have trepeated themselves or it will not let you clear. for example if you get code 2 3 2 and then you hold button down again and release and you get same code 2 3 2 then you can reset..to reset hold button down for 10 seconds and then release.. red light will come on. hold button again for 8 seconds and release...computer should be cleared. also put prong in hole # 6 and repeat process. Obviously you will have the key on the on position or car running..hope this helps and good luck!!

palerider 09-05-2010 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by volvoguy2323 (Post 234321)
Driver side fire wall little black box. remove cover and take prong out and insert into hole #2. Hold button down for 2 seconds and release. You will see a seriers of flashes example..1 1 1 which means system is good. O2 sensor code is 2 3 2. Make sure you repeat until all codes have trepeated themselves or it will not let you clear. for example if you get code 2 3 2 and then you hold button down again and release and you get same code 2 3 2 then you can reset..to reset hold button down for 10 seconds and then release.. red light will come on. hold button again for 8 seconds and release...computer should be cleared. also put prong in hole # 6 and repeat process. Obviously you will have the key on the on position or car running..hope this helps and good luck!!

Thanks for your help, it was the 02 sensor. I cleared it out. Thanks to ya again.

palerider 09-05-2010 05:14 PM

TThanks it worked

volvoguy2323 09-05-2010 10:52 PM

No problem that's why I'm here :)