Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   Fuel pump doesn’t come on while cranking. (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/fuel-pump-doesn%92t-come-while-cranking-100022/)

Mrjonsmith1 05-28-2019 06:49 PM

Fuel pump doesn’t come on while cranking.

I have a 1994 Volvo 940 turbo with Bosch ignition. My car just stalled out on me the fuel pump doesn’t turn on while cranking. It turns on for 3 seconds when I hit the ignition switch. I replaced both relays the fuel pump and the radio suppression. I replaced plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. I also replaced the speed sensor. They where all original and it was justifiable to replace everything. It still doesn’t trigger the fuel pump during cranking. Wtf. I’m so frustrated I feel like setting it on fire and using it for charcoal. Kids will get a kick out of it. Anybody got any suggestions?

Zombi 05-28-2019 07:47 PM

. Nice set of possabilities

Mrjonsmith1 05-28-2019 08:11 PM

Thanks, but um?

The fuel pump doesn’t turn on while cranking. The fuel pressure regulator is probably the next thing I’ll buy. I just think that it probably won’t help if the fuel pump is not pumping.

act1292 05-29-2019 06:05 AM

The fuel pump is supposed to run for a second or two when you turn the ignition to the II position. Then while cranking, if the ECU detects pulses on the crank position sensor it will fire up the pump again. If it doesn't detect pulses it will not run the fuel pump.

Have you checked your engine codes? Have you checked for spark? If the crank position sensor was not providing the ECU with pulses then you won't get spark either as it provides a signal to both.

jagtoes 05-29-2019 07:31 AM

Did you try to hot wire the fuel pump to verify if it works. This by passes the relay and will tell you if you have a relay problem or a fuel pump problem. I traced a similar problem a few months ago on my 740 which turned out to be the ECU.

Mrjonsmith1 05-29-2019 07:40 PM

It turns on for 3 seconds with the key and yes it turns on if I power it directly it’s not even a year old. I have not checked the one in the tank but I don’t really think that would cause it not to start. The pump comes on but not while cranking.

Mrjonsmith1 05-29-2019 07:41 PM

Also no codes. Just 1-1-1

jagtoes 05-30-2019 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjonsmith1 (Post 474034)
Also no codes. Just 1-1-1

How did you check for spark. Verify that a spark plug has spark . Next use a noid light to verify that your fuel injectors are working during the start process. Also if you shoot some starter fluid into the throttle body does it start.

Mrjonsmith1 05-30-2019 07:34 PM

For some reason she’s not sending spark or pulsing the injectors. That kind of goes along with the fuel pump not turning on while cranking. The Ecm is not sending signal to anything. I replaced the speed sensor. I tested the old one and the new one and they where both good. I don’t know if the ecm is bad, the wiring between, or if there’s anything else on that circuit that could cause this kind of problem. Maybe the maf or coolant temp? I think I need to test the wiring between the speed sensor and the ecm. I’m not sure that I’m not missing something else.

DenvBroncos 06-21-2019 09:03 PM

Possible problems with no fuel or spark

I was having same issue with my 740 no fuel and no spark which after a few test led me to the ignition control unit underneath dash black box. Purchased used on on eBay and started right up