Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   Glass headlight lenses (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/glass-headlight-lenses-70732/)

piv15 05-03-2013 08:04 AM

Glass headlight lenses

I have a 1992 volvo 240. On eBay I found glass lenses that look like they're the same shape as the oem plastic ones. Do you think they make glass lenses that are compatible with the oem us-dot assemblies?
Here's the link to em...
1974 1992 Volvo 240 Headlight Glass Lens Right | eBay
Thanks! Evan
Btw they also have left ones.

lev 05-03-2013 09:36 AM

Well, they definitely won't fit 1974 thru 1985 US version 240s... As far as 1986-1993s, they look right but you won't know for sure til you try one on. Would be a nice find if they fit.

piv15 05-03-2013 11:09 AM

I think I may bite the bullet and order one to see... They look just like the oem plastic lenses.

Burn Stains 05-03-2013 03:19 PM

I'm pretty sure the fit will be poor. The headlamp holders are different and the seal might not be good. The trim on top of the headlamp is different too. You will probably have to do some modifications.

pierce 05-05-2013 07:58 PM

this page details just what has to change.

Volvo 240 e-code headlight upgrade

I woudl get the full ecodes and not just the glass front panels.

piv15 05-06-2013 07:02 AM

Haha I've visited that page before. I just love how natural the Euro lights look on the 240. Anyhow, I was wanting to buy the kit from FCPEuro, but it appears they got rid of the kit much to my dismay. I was just about to save enough money to get it too..

lev 05-06-2013 09:20 AM

I believe that page deals with replacing the whole assembly, converting wiring, bulbs, etc. This is just the lens, so the question is whether the dimensions and the contour and the lip fit so that just to glue the glass to the US spec housing, that presumably after the plastic lens has naturally loosened itself from the housing and falling or about to fall off...

piv15 05-06-2013 12:21 PM

Either way I'd love to have me some glass head light lenses. The ones on ebay do look like they'd fit, however i bet Burn stains would be right. The fit might be poor.. who knows when it comes to looking at pictures...

pierce 05-06-2013 12:32 PM

that page says the glass lenses are deeper than the plastic ones. he had to modify his chrome 'eyebrows' to fit.

piv15 05-06-2013 02:17 PM

Do you mean the website taking about converting everything?

pierce 05-06-2013 02:25 PM

yes. thats what I meant to say, the glass lenses won't fit on the US plastic buckets. you need the full euro light conversion, which also requires different corner marker lights.

the good news is, the late version euro lights bolt right up to the US 1986+ cars with the 'tv panel' headlights (on older cars, there were body modifications)

Volvo 240 e-code headlight upgrade

billiamk67 05-10-2013 02:03 PM

The Ebay glass lenses will not fit, or at least not very well. As Art Bernstein (whose comments on the many volvo community sites I always find valuable) just attested, those glass lenses are intended to fit E-code headlight assemblies, not US-style assemblies.

The "footprint" is close enough that you would be able to attach the glass lenses to your US reflectors using RTV silicone, but the problem is that the glass lenses will sit at an odd angle in terms of the profile of your car and front turn signals. Basically, the lens will be sunk behind one part of the front turn signals, but sit above it at another point. Portions of the metal "frame" around the headlight assembly will also be exposed. In short, you won't like how it looks.

I know this because I bought the same lenses from Ebay myself a while back. The lenses are good quality and the folks at the Latvian company that manufactures them are friendly and helpful; I'd recommend them (even given how expensive the shipping is) if you have E-codes. If you don't, however, you will be disappointed.

I hope this helps.