Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   Hello (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/hello-99395/)

margasrally 03-16-2019 12:30 PM

Hello

Hi. new member, grateful for the opportunity to learn and share, here.
Other than my trusty old Corolla or Honda wagon for daily driving, Volvo Wagons have always been my favorite car. Currently I own a '79 245DL rally wagon, I think I am 3rd owner.
Engine's strong, first new clutch is in, A couple years ago I learned about the fuse box, which I found hilarious. Had to face down my brother who would have worn out the crank trying to start it, because he'd never heard of a fuse problem in a car.
Current issues;The recently still nice original carpet has incurred ruinous damage between the front seats, and the speedometer has been disconnected, with 209,500 on. It's probably closer to 212,000: So far haven't found anyone who knows how to reconnect the wiring.
The roof rack seems rickety, although I can't find a specific point of weakness. Is it supposed to have a little movement from side to side, for some engineering genius reason that would naturally escape me?

Again, thanks and Hello.

pierce 03-16-2019 03:22 PM

not 100% sure on a 79, but the racks on the later cars are held in place with rubber expansion plugs that go into holes in the roof.

also not 100% sure, but I believe very early 240s like your 79 used a mechanical speedometer rather than an electronic one. later model cars had an electrical speed pickup in the differential 'pumpkin'... but the mechanical speedos use a rotating bowden cable which with age and neglect is prone to rusting and breaking... I don't remember if they pick the speed up from a front wheel or what.

lev 03-16-2019 09:13 PM

The mechanical speedo picks the signal from the transmission, not hard to diagnose. Probably the cable is rusted or broken.
Luggage racks were dealer item, and usually cheap and ratlly, I remove them and junk them. IPD sells plugs to fit into the holes.
I'd fix any rust ASAP if you care to keep the car for any length of time... I'd inspect the rest of the body for other rust spots.

margasrally 03-17-2019 10:24 PM

that makes perfect sense about the speed cable. The little tacho and the oil gauge and even the clock operate. Thank you.

margasrally 03-17-2019 10:25 PM

Done and done. Addressed. Thanks!
As to the luggage rack, there's a little play in the crossbar but the mounts are quite firmly placed and take a lot of weight. I'll consider the plugs.

xactorocker 03-18-2019 11:36 AM

Ok, I can help with the speedometer. one end is a cable connected to the back of the instrument cluster. since yours is cable driven. this cable goes down the car and then into the transmission. check to make sure it is all connected and held on. if it is you might either need a new speedometer cable or maybe a new unit in the cluster.

margasrally 03-26-2019 02:24 PM

Thank you.
My new subject for this thread is that, sadly, after several wonderful years, I must part with this Volvo.
Not because of the Volvo. but because I need the money. Is this a venue that allows for sale talk?
I wonder where to advertise? Don't want to do craigslist. I have kept up with the values and am willing to make someone a very good bargain on this adorable Rally wagon with mostly original everything, new transmission, new tires and an engine with startling pickup. Comes with tear stains; they wipe off with a little Simple Green

pierce 03-26-2019 03:14 PM

if its a really cherry example, take LOTS of good photos, and post it on BringATrailer.com (aka BaT). cherry vintage volvos seem to fetch top dollar on there. be completely honest, flaws as well as features. maintenance history is important, too. follow the auction comments, and if someone asks questions, answer them truthfully (but don't over-post)

here's an example of a similar vintage coupe, https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-volvo-242-coupe/

BaT sales are auctions.

margasrally 03-26-2019 04:31 PM

Thank you.

lev 03-26-2019 07:38 PM

BAT is VERY PICKY about what they accept--the cars have to be immaculate and have some historical interest.
What's a Rally Wagon"?

pierce 03-26-2019 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by lev (Post 471947)
BAT is VERY PICKY about what they accept--the cars have to be immaculate and have some historical interest.
What's a Rally Wagon"?

I dunno, I've seen a bunch of mediochre looking daily driver grade 240's from the late 80s, early 90s on BaT. obviously, if you're looking to get $10K for a volvo it had best be rare and cherry.

margasrally 03-26-2019 08:21 PM

This car will probably not be offered on BaT. Home-detailed at best.
From what I'm told, makers often choose a rally model from their popular lines, presumably to put in rallies. The '79 245 --according to various sources-- is a rally car for the 24o series. 4 speed stick with overdrive, making it more gas efficient. DL, to preserve the engine-- no aftermarket air conditioning wear, such as with the GL. And something called Quad Rounds- four round headlights, as opposed to square ones. And rear wheel drive.
Another rally car example is a 94 Corolla Wagon.
This is what I've gathered over years of owning Volvos and Toyotas and listening/reading to the mechanical caregivers. They go to rallies.

The NADA listed that '79 242 value at around $5500, so I 'm impressed at the hammer price. Not sure I have the energy and time for all that detailing and photography. Not sure the paper trail is so solid. Plus miles.

It has other fine qualities going for it, but all over cherry is not one of them.

The upholstery is the original blue soft vinyl, pleasant feel, nice looking. there's a rock dot in the windshield. New window crank needs attached, new latch piece for the hatch is needed. The apron under the drive shaft is loose and I'm confounded by that. There's a two-inch tear in the driver's chair. Door bucket wants replaced. The roof rack is pretty secure after all.

The lighter works.

The thing I like is the perfectly flat bed with the middle seatback folded down. no hump. Couple layers of good quality carpet padding and a couple of blankets, it's like home in bed. open the hatch for more stars. Close it for fewer bears. Easy to net it. We did that decades ago with curtain shears and document clips.

silvermine 03-26-2019 10:05 PM

if you post it honestly there is no reason it could not command the best market price on BaT
you may be surprised...