Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   Just bought a pristine 940 TURBO!! have a few questions (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/just-bought-pristine-940-turbo-have-few-questions-70873/)

92_240_sedan 05-10-2013 02:49 PM

Just bought a pristine 940 TURBO!! have a few questions

This car has just over 200,000 miles on it. It has had its engine changed on it at some point. The interior is spotless so it has been taken care of.

My main question is how can I prolong the life of the turbo and engine. I know the basics of regular oil changes and so on but is there anything else i could do?

side note when the turbo does go out on it anyone know of some inexpensive replacements?

pierce 05-10-2013 03:37 PM

use quality synthetic 10w30, and change it and the filter (use Mann or Volvo brand filters for best results) every 5000 miles. make sure you don't let the oil level run low. turbos are hard on oil.

these Mitsubihi turbos are very robust and reliable, as long as they aren't abused (lack of oil etc). periodically check the coolant hoses and so forth. a quality rebuilt turbo is around $600, or was last I looked.

oh, use quality paper air filters, preferably real volvo... they last a LONG time. make sure the air box clips are holding it snugly closed so dirty air isn't bypassing it. don't let anyone sell you any snakeoil crap like K&N filters, those things are BAD for your engine.

(I own a 1992 740 Turbo wagon, which is virtually the same car as a 1992 940, with just a few less extras).

92_240_sedan 05-10-2013 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 352571)
use quality synthetic 10w30, and change it and the filter (use Mann or Volvo brand filters for best results) every 5000 miles. make sure you don't let the oil level run low. turbos are hard on oil.

these Mitsubihi turbos are very robust and reliable, as long as they aren't abused (lack of oil etc). periodically check the coolant hoses and so forth. a quality rebuilt turbo is around $600, or was last I looked.

oh, use quality paper air filters, preferably real volvo... they last a LONG time. make sure the air box clips are holding it snugly closed so dirty air isn't bypassing it. don't let anyone sell you any snakeoil crap like K&N filters, those things are BAD for your engine.

(I own a 1992 740 Turbo wagon, which is virtually the same car as a 1992 940, with just a few less extras).

Will do i think i am going to change the hoses this time around. i noticed in my expansion tank there are little pieces of what look like black rubber accumulating. i figure its the hoses deteriorating. I figure a good flush will solve that with new hoses.

Man, i cannot tell you how much i love this car already. I do wish it had a teeny weeny bit more boost

pierce 05-10-2013 04:34 PM

the turbobricks forum guys have road maps to tweak these thigns *WAY* up in power. but the more you crank out, the more expensive things get (rear ends etc start giving up at 250HP)