Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   just one key... doesn't work in trunk or glove box (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/just-one-key-doesnt-work-trunk-glove-box-100379/)

volvodriver99 07-08-2019 10:49 PM

just one key... doesn't work in trunk or glove box

So my 1986 Volvo DL (also known as the 244 sedan) came with only one key. Problem is it only works in the ignition. No love for the trunk or glove box.

From what I've read online it might be a valet key and a master key would work in all three places. Can anyone confirm this?

I've already bought Master Key blanks on eBay but they don't appear any longer than my current key which I was expecting them to be.

Any insights would be appreciated. Tx.

pierce 07-08-2019 10:59 PM

the difference between a valet key and the regular key is in the ridges on the sides of the key. a valet key won't fit in the glove box or trunk locks.

if the key fits in those locks but doesn't turn, then its possible your front door and ignition lock cylinders were replaced, without replacing the trunk or glove box locks.

volvodriver99 07-08-2019 11:01 PM

Yeah the key does NOT fit into either the glove box or trunk... So I'm guessing a locksmith can turn this valet key into a master key with my master key blank then?

I already called the Volvo dealership near me and they said they can't do anything...

pierce 07-08-2019 11:07 PM

yeah, a locksmith should be able to cut the keys. find a good locksmith, real Volvo key blanks are steel, not brass, and the usual lock cutters won't work. the brass keys bend too easily and break off in the locks.

you USED to be able to order keys for your Volvo from a dealer via your VIN, and they would be pre-cut, I don't know if they offer this service anymore. Mercedes does, $13 for a factory original key.

mt6127 07-09-2019 09:27 AM

also see if there is a key number stamped on the key that a locksmith or deal may be able to reference.

pierce 07-09-2019 03:07 PM

never seen a key number stamped on any volvo or mercedes or VW keys (they all use the same sort of Neimann or Huf steel keys).

lev 07-09-2019 11:43 PM

Makes no sense to stamp a key code on a key, it kind of defeats the security purpose of having a key. Never seen it on any car; there may be a separate tag accompanying a new set of keys but the owner is expected to keep it in a safe place for emergencies...

Any locksmith can cut old Volvo keys as long as he has the right blanks which are different for the valet and the universal, extra ridge is it.

mt6127 07-10-2019 08:23 AM

I guess I'm showing my age. You are correct in noting that the newer keys don't have a stamp on them. Now where did I leave those keys to my 73 BMW 2002...

donMetcalfe 11-05-2020 02:04 AM

Last week I had a problem with my Volvo XC90 and I want to share with you this story. I went swimming and forgot the keys in my swims and obviously I lost them, and the problem was that I don't have a spare key, I bought it with just one key, don't ask me why. So the only solution was to call a locksmith, and I found a reliable locksmith on the internet, and I am not gonna lie, he saved me, he opened my door and I can now easily change my door lock.