Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   My 89 240GL will not start....Help (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/my-89-240gl-will-not-start-help-46645/)

SirJohnIII 10-19-2010 09:55 AM

My 89 240GL will not start....Help

the car kept stalling out right when I applied the gas. I was told it my be the fuel fiter..so I replaced it and it was very dirty I also replaced the spark plugs..now the car will not start..the engine turns over and spits and kicks but will not fire off....I am getting sparks and fuel to the rail..I also pulled one of the spark plugs and it is now covered in black soot..what is wrong please help

redbottle 10-20-2010 08:24 PM

did you replaced the spark plug wires? your firing order might not be right...it goes: 1 3 4 2. by black soot you mean oily or chimney soot?

if your filter was nasty you night have a deteriorated in-tank fuel pump mesh filter and your in-tank pump may be nasty as well....hell both pumps...

your fuel pressure regulator may be the culprit....

SirJohnIII 10-21-2010 10:38 AM

I did the spark plugs one at a time and the fuel pressure seems to be ok..
The soot is not oily..more like ash soot...is it getting to much fuel?

swiftjustice44 10-22-2010 09:24 PM

Yes, the condition is indeed indicative of a rich running condition. Not enough air can cause engines to run rich. When is the last time the air filter was changed? If it's not just totally filthy, the LH2.4 injection should be able to compensate. If the air filter is ok, then most likely you are going to find it is time to spend a bit of money and tlc. Most likely the oxygen sensor is bad. It samples the byproducts of combustion and tell the ecu to richen or lean the mixture. Obvious that isn't happening. Check your firing order on the plugs to humor us please. You have no idea how often they get mixed up either at the d cap or at the plug. It happens to all of us. Check/change the distributor cap and rotor. You AirMassMeter could be dirty/failing as well. Before you go too far...remove the oil filler cap and look in it while someone cranks the engine. If the cam doesn't turn then your timing belt is broken...when they are old, they will break at the slightest provocation.

West1004 10-26-2010 06:28 PM

w

Check you air mass regulator. you can get them rebuilt online pretty cheep

fredbyte 10-28-2010 08:38 PM

If your 240 is like my 1987 740, just because you get fuel at the fuel rail does not mean the main fuel pump still works. The in-tank pump will still deliver fuel even though the main fuel pump is dead. The car will not start with a dead main fuel pump. Go to www.stepbystepvolvo.com for free 740 no-start guide; it may help in your case.

Good luck!

SirJohnIII 11-11-2010 03:14 PM

I have now put a used fuel pump off a 90' 240 and replaced the fuel pressure regulator. Still on run. I have checked the Timing Belt and firing order and all are ok.
Now what?