New member with 745T question....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with 745T question....

Hello, Long time Volvo enthusiast and owner just joined the forum. Had four Volvos at one time, now down to three. My pride and joy 1991 745T 5-speed is in the shop getting a new heater core. My question is when she is fixed how do I remove the front seats, carpeting and floor pads to clean out the antifreeze that leaked under the carpet on both the driver and passenger sides?

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
1984 245 5-speed, passed on to my son and then sold to a neighbor
1991 745T 5-speed, 172,000 miles, my daily driver and workhorse
1998 S70, my daughter's car
2004 XC70, 72,000 miles, my wife's daily driver and our road trip car

Old 03-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seats: They are bolted down in the front and back with a 13mm head bolt through the ends of the bottom seat rails. The back ends of the seat rails are covered by plastic ends. Carefully push them into the carpet and slide them back. Sometimes you may need to get them to stretch to get them around the peg that holds them in place.

Take off the outside pockets or seat controls by the screw in the back and the front it held on by a detent in the front. You can push it in with a screw driver and with a little force pop the whole thing out. Slide the seat belt through the split that piece of trim is gone.

You can remove the headrest if you need more space to pull it out. Remove it by pressing into the back of the seat just under the top harder cross-member part. Push in line with the headrest stems. You'll feel a plastic tab move. Pull up on one side and then the other and it should come out.

Near the front out side bolt for the seat rail, there is a plastic cover on the inside. Remove it and look for wires and a connector. Unplug them all and cut any zip ties that my hinder you (but not any wires).

Now the seat is loose, only on thing remains. There are two flared pegs into the body on the bottom of each rail. You must push the seat back about an inch (watch for the carpet behind the seat rails, it has a tendency to catch on each other and frustrate things). Then it pops up! From experience, this is just not a walk in the park. Getting those pegs to release takes some time wiggling to get it out.

Now with the seat out, you probably want to go under the rug?

The plastic rocker trim comes out (there are rectangular plastic covers that come off pretty easily, under which are screws). The center console comes out. My 89 is a little different, but I think it's pretty close. remover the leather boot around the stick shift. The plastic is held in the front my a metal clip. The middle is held down by two screws in the hand brake pull tub. The tub comes out.

The are two screws under a plastic panel in the center console storage. I think that the front slides in. There are some wires in the back for the seat belt light and a light for the back ashtray.

The rug is in two sections in the front. It should slide out from underneath the center section (I think).

If the wetness is lower and into the sound deadening foam in the floor, you'll have to take apart the toe box. Those foam pieces go up and to the middle of the transmission tunnel. The dash center console will have to come apart and probably the the glove box and driver's side knew pad.

I can detail that more if you need to go that far. All and all, it's not hard. Just keep track of the hardware.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Titan Joe,
Thanks so much for your detailed intsructions. My euro shop is now looking for a new heater core so I'm not sure when I will get the car back and I will need good weather to do this project outside. I will surely contact you if I get stuck or have to dig deeper.

Mike

Old 03-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't let them take too long to find a heater core; they aren't rare. FCP has a genuine Nissens core for cheap...
Volvo Heater Core (740 760 780 940 960 S90 V90) Nissens 1307236 | FCP Euro