problem with 1991 740T speedometer, amongst other issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with 1991 740T speedometer, amongst other issues

I just bought this car on Monday, but it is already becoming sort of a "I thought it was awesome, but it really isn't so awesome purchase". I didn't test drive the car on the highway before I purchased it, so as I was driving it home, to my dismay, I discovered that the speedometer will not read after 45 mph, uh oh! The odometer and fuel gauge do work.

Also, I noticed the heater doesn't always blow out hot air, it will only blow out hot air for a few minutes, then I have to turn it off and wait for awhile, then crank it back up. The A/C doesn't work either (I was told this before hand though)

The service light also randomly comes on at times, though it has been serviced every 5,000 miles. Moreover, when pressing on the brakes, the brake warning light comes on, though all of the brake lights do work--I was told these last two issues can be resolved by resetting some things, is this correct?

It is supposed to be in mechanically sound condition, but I feel there is a fair amount of resistance and rumbling while accelerating especially higher speeds. This just may be the nature of the volvo, but I had this sort of problem before my honda completely failed me, so it makes me nervous!

Any sort of help is appreciated!

Old 05-26-2009, 01:21 AM

speedometer will not read after 45 mph
The needle stops at 45 as you continue to go faster, or the needle drops to zero?
the heater doesn't always blow out hot air
Check the coolant level, and make sure the water pump belt it tight. Could also be a restricted heater core that can't let hot coolant in fast enough to keep up.
The service light also randomly comes on at times
Says "Service", or "Check Engine"?
the brake warning light comes on, though all of the brake lights do work
Could have air somewhere in the system, leading to a pressure imbalance that can trip the warning switch (pressure differential warning valve).

Old 05-30-2009, 12:34 AM

Thank you for the reply!

Well, initially the speedometer was stopping at 45 mph without dropping to zero, it just wouldn't indicate at higher speeds--completely stopped at 45, BUT the other day as I was driving, some metal rod flew off the bottom of a van driving ahead of me--I ended up running over it, and since then my ABS light has been on, my right break has been making weird sounds, and the speedometer and odometer no longer work at all.

But all of the problems I listed before are the least of my concerns now.

The last few time I've started the car, it has started up fine, but none of the power in the car worked --the radio, windows, turn signals, everything, all dead! I assumed it had something to do with the extreme heat, but today the car nearly died on me today, or at least it felt like it was near death!

Anyways, I ended up making it to a gas station and was lucky enough to be helped by a fellow who happened to be a volvo enthusiast. Apparently there is a leak near the neck of the expansion tank hose and the car was majorly overheating (though the gauge didn't indicate so...?). The person before me apparently tried to fix this problem with a zip tie, nice! Would this problem explain why the car has pretty much been eating up engine oil? or is there something more sinister going on? After I put more oil in it, it began driving a bit more normally than it had before, but it still has acceleration issues.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend, if at all possible that you take this car back immediately and get your money back. It sounds like a ticking time bomb.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:43 PM

Did you ever figure out the speedometer problem? I have the same car and it goes up to 47 and stops, won't move no matter how fast I go. Then when I drop down it works fine from 47 on down. Any clues?