Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   Removing Door Panel (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/removing-door-panel-4203/)

soapboxhero 01-21-2006 12:34 PM

Removing Door Panel

I'm trying to remove the driver's side door panel to fix the internal mechanism of the lock. I removed the two screws that go through the arm rest/ handle. And, I pulled out the clips up tops, and the plastic twist screws on the bottom of the door. But, it still seems held in on bottom. It's a 1982 240. Is there anything else I'm missing? Thanks.

tech 01-21-2006 12:39 PM

RE: Removing Door Panel

You need to slide the door pocket off and remove the lower screws.

arthur240 01-28-2006 07:19 PM

You have to slide the trim piece off the front of the window winders, if you have manual windows. You nneed to remove the screw from the door handle trim. The pockets come off easily when you remove the trim panel screrws- twist a half turn and pull them out. Remove the door lock handle from the top by unscrewing it. Sometimes the door pockets have been removed but the screws are still in the panels. As I recall there are three - two on top and one on the bottom, or perhaps four, two each top and bottom. The panel itesef is held in by a number of fasteners aong the sides and bottom. I use a two-prong puller to get behind them and extract them. If you pull from the front they will rip the panel. Now is a good time to replace any that are missing. If the slot on the panel is damaged, you might want to glue the fasteners on. If there is a vapor barrier between the panel and door, remove it carefully. If damaged, replace it. Lack of a vapor barrier is guaranteed to rust the door. I have used plastic bags and duct tape to improvise a vaporr barrier. It is a long time since I pulled a door panel on a 240, so i do not recall whether there is a barrier or not. The learning curve is short- do one and you will have it down pat. As they say in the health care field, see one do one. Or better yet, see one, do one, teach one.

austinringding 04-25-2006 10:05 PM

ok, I just registered and found this thread as I am now the one needing to remove an '87 240GL drivers door panel. I have unscrewed the door lock knob/handle, removed three screws from the armrest, 2 from the bottom of the panel itself and popped out all of the plastic fasteners (luckily without breaking any). The problem is that the door panel still won't come off. It is still attached where the armrest goes up and forms the "hand pull" where you put your hand to push and pull the door open and closed. it is attached to the door, and I can't find a screw or anything to loosen it. What am I missing here?

tech 04-25-2006 10:31 PM

Turn the Armrest/handle up and pull to remove then the door panel should come loose.

austinringding 04-26-2006 12:28 AM

do you mean rotate it in a clockwise or counterclockwise motion?

tech 04-26-2006 12:32 AM

Clockwise.