Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   slight glitch with oil change (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/slight-glitch-oil-change-43818/)

qstyle 07-25-2010 09:24 PM

slight glitch with oil change

I would never say i know 100% what im doing with my 91 240 but i sure wouldnt tackle a job without having a pretty good idea of what im getting myself into. With that said , an oil change is about as basic as it gets without changing a flat but heres what happened. I drained the oil , swapped filters but... and i guess i just havent done this enough because i left the old oil filter gasket on when i installed the new filter/gasket. Soo evidentally what happened was i got about 2 miles down the road and all i see is smoke and oil spewing from the filter. I pulled over and as well as seeing a huge puddle and oil all over my engine i saw that pretty much all the oil had drained as i was driving. Did i potentially screw something up? I bought more oil and reinstalled the filter (without the old gasket on) and all seems to be well. Any thoughts ? and im an idiot is already a taken response , haha.

matt

buckthedog 07-25-2010 11:04 PM

nah, youre not an idiot. I've found so many things undone by professionals, and not just mechanics, its scary. You just goofed. You should be just fine. As long as there are no new weird noises and the car isn't overheating youll be fine. Like my dad told me, "measure twice - cut once." Just always check and double check your work. That said, i've never even heard of an old filter gasket getting stuck on ...the old gasket actually separated from the old filter? never heard of such.

tedv 07-26-2010 09:10 AM

You are fine... And that happens, to anyone, every now and again... Bet you don't do it again!

volvoguy2323 07-27-2010 10:17 PM

I am confused...oil filter gasket? What kind of filters are you using...I have never installed an oil filter gasket on a 240...all the filters(OEM Mann) I use have a rubber seal(gasket) imbedded on the filter itself...u put a bit of oil around it before mount it...and tha'ts that. Anyway, unless you hear knocking...you should be fine...but I would highly recommend only using a Volvo or a Mann filter unless you have changed to AMSOIL...

volvoguy2323 07-27-2010 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by buckthedog (Post 227795)
nah, youre not an idiot. I've found so many things undone by professionals, and not just mechanics, its scary. You just goofed. You should be just fine. As long as there are no new weird noises and the car isn't overheating youll be fine. Like my dad told me, "measure twice - cut once." Just always check and double check your work. That said, i've never even heard of an old filter gasket getting stuck on ...the old gasket actually separated from the old filter? never heard of such.

I've never seen that either and I've worked on THOUSANDS of 240's...:D

tedv 07-28-2010 12:37 AM

I have seen it but not on a Volvo... don't remember. What happens is, the old filter gasket does not stay with the filter, and remains stuck to the block. You don't notice it, discard the old filter, stick the new filter on which now has two gaskets... and leaks.