Some Concerns and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Concerns and Questions

First off, Just finished a tune up, finally. Did oil and filter, sparks and wires and air filter. Aftewards ran alot better, stronger idle, better start and turn over, and just alot smoother. Now after running it for about a week after the tune up, im started to smell alot more gas smell under acceleration and when im stopped at stop lights. Its nothing heavy, and isnt always consist, but before i changed the oil it had a smell of gas in the oil, i read it could be from contionious short trips, which i do alot, and from running the car without adequet warm up. I do about a 2 mile commute every morning to school and thenback throughout the day. Is that the cause, or could it be something larger? Theres no apparent leak, or burning i can sense other than what i mentioned.

Second issue. Off of cold starts, she turns and cranks and starts right up, but the revs spike up to 1500 and then drop to about 1000 and stay there for up to 5-7 minutes before they finally slowly drop down to the normal 6-700. Is that just from the cold starts? Its been getting down into the 30-40's at night in Colorado, im assuming thats the issue. Is it a major problem to run it right off, or is it gonna be a big issue eventually. I know i should let it warm up, but i dont always have the time.

Third Issue. A whining noise, almost sounds like a fuel pump, but isn't. Its coming from within the dash or engine bay, but only when the car is at idle. When i have any pressure on the gas, it goes away, and no it isn't from the noise. Any suggestions as to what it is?

Last thing, which i think is more a mental block. I want to go ski alot this winter, is it bad to be driving up i-70 at black/white boost and in 3rd. I know i can get up to 75 up there, but i just feel like my cars going to hate me after i drive it up and down there.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest:

change to another adequate oil for colder temps
check the brake booster check valve....it looks like a white cap with a rubber hose leading to the intake and it is behind the break fluid reservoir... this for the hissing noise....

Old 10-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im running 15w40. and ill check that. Any other tips or answers for the problems. It did the low idle again today and almost died on me when i was in park, just dipped an dipped and dipped. down to about 300.