Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   tailgate wiring secret (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/tailgate-wiring-secret-39532/)

last240onearth 03-04-2010 01:43 AM

tailgate wiring secret

OK I made it through the heater fan motor replacement my hands are like hamburger the next task is the wiring harness replacement to the rear wagon liftgate on this 93. Before I start i need a few secrets from those that have done this task.

Sambar Stag 03-09-2010 12:12 AM

Tail hinge wiring replacement

Congratulations on the blower motor replacement. That's one thing I haven't tackled on my '86. On this year they "built the rest of the car around it".
I have done the tailgate wiring harness replacement and it wasn't bad. If you get the wiring kit from IPD it will come with excellent instructions. Be prepared to replace one or more of the hinges because you may not know that they are broken until you get the gate off. They were available at my dealer for about $12 each; less than IPD. I tried taping the new harness to the old to pull it through, but couldn't get the combination small enough to go through the channel in the tailgate. I ended up just taking a deep breath, pulling the old out and shoving the new down. It went fine. There is some kind of dried out sealant that the factory used to seal around the hinges, it looked like plumbers putty, so thats what I used when I put everything back together. No leaks. Silicone RTV would probably work ok too.

last240onearth 03-09-2010 05:38 AM

stag you were on it at 100 percent have to get a single hinge managed to fish the wire through however the IPD wire harness were not exact on this 93 the last year for the 240 had to take ends of old wiring and solder ect. will call dealer for possibility of new hinge. thanks

Nolan 02-06-2011 02:43 PM

Headliner?

Does this wiring harness cover the brake lights as well? I can see that some of the wires are severed at the hinge, but my whipper and turn signals, and running lights still work back there.

last240onearth 02-07-2011 06:07 AM

brake lights do not trail through tail gate harness

Joseph/TX 02-13-2011 02:48 PM

My advice, fwiw, is to bypass the hinges entirely and just go directly to the tailgate. This isn't as neat as the original design, but makes a hell of a lot more sense. Just looking at the way those wires broke in the hinge and knowing that they're gonna flex every time you open the tailgate should tell you that you'll be doing the job again soon.

last240onearth 02-14-2011 04:42 AM

I'm still trying to fiqure out how to do just that

Joseph/TX 02-19-2011 11:35 PM

Well, the easiest and most obvious way is to just leave a little gap when you put the headliner back on and run the wires from there to the hole in the tailgate. If you have a chance to look at how Volvo changed the routing on the 740 wagons you will see that they evidently realized they had screwed up on the 240..