Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   Tune up 87' 240 DL (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/tune-up-87-240-dl-38115/)

deadhead86 01-15-2010 04:18 PM

Tune up 87' 240 DL

Just bought my first Volvo (87' 240 DL, nearly 300XXX on the clock). When I bought it, the previous owner wasnt able to tell me much more then that he knew you put gas in it to make it go. I obviously have no idea when its last tune up was and need to do one.

My questions to you guys are:

-What is the prefered name brand and grade of oil to use in these older Volvos?
-What oil filter should I be using?
-What brand air filter should I be using?
-What type of plugs, and what brand and size plug wires should I be using?

Also, in my Rovers I run nothing less then 93 octane fuels thru them. Do these cars have any issues with the grade of fuel?

Thanks in advance.

TURBO 245 01-15-2010 04:51 PM

1. Mobil 1 10/30 or Castrol 10/30 (opinions very on oil brands)
2. Mann
3. Mann
4. Bosch,NGK
5. No issues with 93 oct.

FCP Groton – Discount Car Parts & Auto Parts- Low Prices | Free Shipping

They are a site sponsor,check out there site.

I would also replace,plug wires,Dist cap,rotor button,fuel filter,and most definitely the timing belt and tensioner.I'm sure I forgot a few items someone else can help add to the list.

Dan

redbottle 01-15-2010 05:16 PM

check valve atop of your intake manifold. Small black and white plastic part that has very small connections, it has a very small hose going through the back wall and pops out behind the glove box.

Flame trap: under the intake manifold....easy....cheap....or just use MAF cleaner with red little tube sprayer

Trans Fluid/filter: some what easy

Differential grease: crawl under the back and use a crescent wrench...undo the plug and either use a hose pump to take out old fluids or just top off until it oozes out the little hole.

Just to name a few

redbottle 01-15-2010 05:18 PM

I think I used castrol for high mileage and it ran kind of nasty for a while...no, I did not over fill.

tedv 01-15-2010 06:34 PM

If it ain't broke, you don't want to go throwing $ into it unnecessarily. If the car runs well, drive it and deal with it as issues arise. I am not one for over maintenance--sometimes that crates more problems than you think you are solving. I'd change the oil and filter, and INSPECT the ignition system, brakes, tires, air pressure, etc. I use full syn. oil but any SAE 10-30 oil will do with a decent oil filter I prefer MANN for all the filters but sometimes they are not available. NGK for plugs, Bougicord for plugs. 87 gas.

blue goose 01-15-2010 07:03 PM

Castrol GTX 10W-30. I would do the timing belt, oil & filter (Mann), fuel filter, and clean the flame trap. If it needs a tuneup I would do NGK copper plugs, Bougicord wires. 87 gas. Either decent gas like Chevron or add a can of Techron once in a while to clean the injectors. Inspect suspension bushings especially rear trailing arms.

deadhead86 01-17-2010 02:23 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. Im pretty machanically inclined, and I will say I agree with Ted. Then again, if someone asked me what needed to be done when buying an 03' Disco, Id tell them to replace the oil pump asap. Once again, thanks for all the input. You guys have no doubt saved me alot of time and money already.