Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof

I have a 92 745Ti and with all of the rain we have been having I have a leak. I have found the two front holes which are for drainage and cleaned them. They run down the two front window post, but I can not locate the back hole(s) to the rear of the sunroof in order to clean it (them).

If I cant find these hoses to clean, would it be wise to replace the sunroof seal to prevent future water from getting in and I dont want to ruin a perfectly good headliner.

The dealer wants $60 for the new sunroof gasket, but will a new gasket keep the rain out?

Thanks for any help,

RedBrick

Old 06-24-2006, 12:54 AM
Default RE: Sunroof

Hello,
Yes gasket kit will keep rain out...Common problem for Volvos after years of open/close and different temp./climates.
Most of the Volvos I see eventually the sunroof seal will leak and need replacing... Check and make sure the sunroof,when closed ,meets flush with roof body panel...Some that I've seen have not been flush with the roof itself. At times I have had to (SLIGHTLY!? muscle/bend) into position...BUT that aside,all should be well....
Be quite carefull when replacing(measure and do not cut away any excess until sure and don't forget to use the small joiner/bridge/cupler Volvo will give you with gaske kit Poss.? also a little black windshield sealant at joint (not silicone gasket cement) ...
PS Don't forget to blow out any old debre,clean throughly & grease track...Tighten all screws(BUT not over tighten!)
I don't think I left anything out,BUT YOU NEVER KNOW!? I tend to check and recheck time permitted....GOOD LUCK YOU'LL DO FINE!
Take care,
Phil Franco
Euro Auto

Old 06-24-2006, 09:35 AM

Thanks so much for the help and I will order the gasket right away. I do have one question thought...are there drain holes at the rear of the sunroof. I found the two up front, but can not locate the the drains in the rear or where they would be draining, if I do find them.

Thanks
RedBrick

Old 06-24-2006, 05:05 PM

Went out this morning to help dry out the car and now the motor doesnt work.

Will letting the car sit and dry, help dry the motor also, or is it now toast from getting wet.

Could it be the switch and not the motor that is bad? But then again it did not get wet. The fuse is alright.

Could this mtor come back to life after a complete dry out?

Thanks
RedBrick

Old 10-08-2010, 08:33 AM

Also wondering about location of rear drain holes, if any, for sunroof on '95 940 wagon?

Bob Franklin

Old 10-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Default Fixing Sunroof

Greetings,

I am on the volvo sunroof odyssey also. I was into my volvo 940 sedan (1995) for several years until I noticed there was all this water coming in the back right corner of the cab, just dripping off the headboard. My headboard has a mean lean/droop now in back

I've started asking around and consulting the forum. I checked the drain holes to make sure that wasn't the problem. I checked the drain holes and they are not blocked. You can pour wter from a thin necked watering can down them to see. The aft drain holes are there, you just can' see them because the window and hardware is in the way. Just pour some water down the track with the car parked on a slope, car's tail end down.

I bought some silicone seal because I had read about something like that in the Forum. Looking at the rubber today I can see it is pretty worn out. Replcing the gasket sounds like a big job......