Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   volvo 940 dying and not getting fuel (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/volvo-940-dying-not-getting-fuel-95790/)

maxxmcdaniel 03-13-2018 08:49 AM

volvo 940 dying and not getting fuel

so my car battery has been dying if i don't connect a wire from the battery to the back of the alternator when i first crank it to like jump the alternator i guess, because thats what someone told me on this forum when it started dying. so i tried it a few days ago when my car wouldn't start to keep a charge and it seemed to work until tonight. It died after driving it for about 30 minutes which i had driven it previously tonight for about an hour and half so i called another buddy to jump me off because i was stranded on the side of the road it just shut off and the lights started flickering. when he jump started me i touched the wire to the battery and alternator and it sparked i drove it about 15 minutes back to my buddys house and then we let it set for about 2 hours then i had had to drive it about 15 minutes to a gas station and it acted like it wanted to die so i turned it off and re cranked it and it kept acting like it wanted to die so i was under the hood reving it and it made a loud pop it sounded like it came from the under the hood then started back firing which it does sometimes and it started idling right so i got in and it started acting like it wanted to die again but still i just drove it with it back firing and idleing then about a mile from my drive way it acting like it wasint getting gas like it was just taking every thing the car had to make it down the road. i cant figure out whats wrong ive taken all the relays out and checked em checked all the fuses the battery is fine it may be the alternator but that wouldn't explain the fact it was acting like it wasn't getting gas, and i keep hearing a zapping sound coming from behind the radio which i installed a new radio recently and ive looked but cant find any wires touching but sometimes my headlights don't wanna work but i can turn my headlight switch one time and the dash light comes one do it twice and no dash lights and no headlights but if i giggle the wires and dick with it they come on so i'm going wcrazy trying to figure it out please for the love of what ever is holy help me

lev 03-23-2018 09:38 PM

"Let's eat grandma!" vs "Let's eat, grandma!"
Big difference, huh?
Lack of punctuation can be deadly, or cause people not to read what you write.

maxxmcdaniel 03-23-2018 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by lev (Post 458005)
"Let's eat grandma!" vs "Let's eat, grandma!"
Big difference, huh?
Lack of punctuation can be deadly, or cause people not to read what you write.

you don't have to be a smart.... sorry I didn't know we had English majors my bad not trying to sound like a jerk but I asked a question instead of being the way you are being all ya gotta do is ask did you mean .... instead of saying it the way you did. Also what part of the question did your Yale graduate self not understand??

pierce 03-24-2018 12:23 AM

that wasn't a question, it was a 1000 word run-on ramble that most won't be bothered to read.

dytha99 03-24-2018 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 458010)
that wasn't a question, it was a 1000 word run-on ramble that most won't be bothered to read.

That is correct.

silvermine 03-24-2018 06:44 AM

holy run on sentence batman! anyway how about first eliminating the 'zapping' sound coming from behind the 'new' radio. take out the radio and tape up all the wires and go from there. that is, before the whole car goes up in smoke....

jagtoes 03-24-2018 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by silvermine (Post 458013)
holy run on sentence batman! anyway how about first eliminating the 'zapping' sound coming from behind the 'new' radio. take out the radio and tape up all the wires and go from there. that is, before the whole car goes up in smoke....

Agree , the last change made should be the 1st thing removed.

All I got out of the OP was the car don't run so what is the problem. I'm looking for my urban sentence translator to see if I can figure out the post.

pierce 03-24-2018 10:45 AM

ok, in the morning, after my first cup of coffee, I tried to read that monoblock rant... he apparently has multiple issues.

1) the charging system isn't working, most likely the D+ since it charges if he jumps D+ to B+

2) after repeatedly messing about with jumping D+, he zapped something and now the car is all messed up.

3) a bad stereo installation may be partially responsible for random intermittent electrics.