Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   water pump oddity (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/water-pump-oddity-99254/)

bigarms24 03-11-2019 11:44 AM

its an auto and I did top it off before I left

Moetheshmoe 03-11-2019 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by bigarms24 (Post 471363)
its an auto and I did top it off before I left

Ok, but there could be a few other things sending extra heat to the radiator. If the fluid level is full and it looks clean and doesn't smell, there's a few other things worth checking. First thing I'd do is get an infrared thermometer(pretty cheap at Harbor Freight or Amazon) and check the temp of the incoming and outgoing lines to the radiator. I don't know what those should be but somebody out there should know? Or, disconnect the transmission return line on the radiator and run the car for a few seconds, to make sure fluid's coming out and the radiator isn't plugged or restricted. If that's ok then it might be worth doing a flush, dropping the pan and cleaning the screen. If the filter/screen is full of junk then the pump is still not getting enough fluid, even with proper levels. And that could cause hot running. If everything checks out, it is possible you have a tired transmisson? Adding an external Hayden cooler could help you get by until a rebuild or a swap.

Moetheshmoe 03-11-2019 12:21 PM

Ya know, now that I think about it, another problem I had with that car, before the tranny issue, was the thermostat to radiator hose collapsing under heavy load, and blocking coolant flow. That was a tough one to diagnose. Turns out, even though the hose looked good, it was old and weak. I put a new one on and problem solved. And btw, a lot of those new hoses have a wire coil inside for just that purpose = keeping the hose open at all times. Possible.

lev 03-11-2019 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Moetheshmoe (Post 471360)
You didn't mention whether your car was a manual or automatic? If it is an automatic, your transmission might be the problem. Except for the pinging, my Ford Taurus started doing that too - normal temps when parked and idling and cruising around town. But accelerating on the highway and especially uphill it would get hot, not completely to the end of the temp gauge but about 3/4's. If it was an engine cooling problem, the exact opposite should have happened - hot in town but cooler on the highway due to increased airflow. Turns out the transmission was low on fluid, which made it run hotter than normal. That heat was being transferred to the bottom of the radiator. And from there transferred to the top of the radiator where the coolant picked up the heat and took it back to the engine. As soon as I topped up the tranny fluid everything went back to normal. And whatever the source of heating, hot engines will easily start pinging when under load, going uphill.

Yeah, that's a crazy story that may be applies to Tauruses only even though I doubt it very much at that. Mechanics 101. There may be some circumstances where a transmission can cause engine overheating, this is not one of them. "Transmission overheating and transferring the heat to the engine making it ping?" Not likely.

Moetheshmoe 03-12-2019 11:20 AM

I suggest you go back to school and take Mechanics 101 again. The radiator cooling system for engines and transmissions is the same for Volvo's and Ford's and Toyota's and Mercedes's. etc. etc. And if the transmission fluid is not flowing thru the radiator at the designed flow, the heat generated will transfer to the coolant. You can prove it with an infrared thermometer. And if you don't believe a hot engine will "ping" under load, take a Volvo, disconnect the knock sensor and floor it going up a long grade.

And to expound a bit. It's a simple law of physics that heat causes detonation(pinging) and detonation causes heat. Why do you think turbos have an intercooler? To cool the incoming charge and prevent overheating. And why do you think their ECU's are programmed to increase fuel flow when under boost? Because a lean engine runs hot and promotes detonation.

lev 03-12-2019 12:49 PM

I never said that engine overheat won't cause pinging. I said that a transmission overheating will not cause an engine to ping, just not enough heat transfer will take place...
BTW, intercoolers do not make engines run cooler, they cool air making it more dense so it burns more efficiently...
And radiator hoses do not colapse unless coolant level is very low, and no modern hoses come with "coils" inside...
So, LMAO...

Moetheshmoe 03-12-2019 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by lev (Post 471392)
I never said that engine overheat won't cause pinging. I said that a transmission overheating will not cause an engine to ping, just not enough heat transfer will take place...
BTW, intercoolers do not make engines run cooler, they cool air making it more dense so it burns more efficiently...
And radiator hoses do not colapse unless coolant level is very low, and no modern hoses come with "coils" inside...
So, LMAO...

Here ya go. LYAO at this:
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...radiator-hoses
And, by the way, I think you're forgetting one very important fact. Forget the density of the incoming charge, that air is being pumped directly off the exhaust system and if you don't think that hot air will heat the engine then you weren't schooled properly.
Getting back to the original problem stated in this thread, the culprit could be a bad knock sensor. Cooling is fine except under load, going uphill. And detonating like a diesel. The knock sensor is designed to prevent that - no knock, no heat.

pierce 03-12-2019 08:27 PM

good point re the exhaust pipe air. check the airbox and make sure that flap under the air fliter is closed when the engine is warmed up so its /not/ sucking air in off the manifold.

lev 03-13-2019 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Moetheshmoe (Post 471395)
Here ya go. LYAO at this:
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...radiator-hoses
And, by the way, I think you're forgetting one very important fact. Forget the density of the incoming charge, that air is being pumped directly off the exhaust system and if you don't think that hot air will heat the engine then you weren't schooled properly.
Getting back to the original problem stated in this thread, the culprit could be a bad knock sensor. Cooling is fine except under load, going uphill. And detonating like a diesel. The knock sensor is designed to prevent that - no knock, no heat.

And here you go, Radiator Hose Coils | AUTO BREVITY
You know Shmoe, you name fits you perfectly, it's impossible to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person!

Moetheshmoe 03-13-2019 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by lev (Post 471421)
And here you go, Radiator Hose Coils | AUTO BREVITY
You know Shmoe, you name fits you perfectly, it's impossible to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person!

Gee, I'm sorry, I forgot that you're a self anointed genius. Why don't you call the engineers at Dayco and tell them you know more than they do.

Utah23 04-15-2019 06:21 PM

V70 Wagon Overheating Especially Up Grades

I have a nice 2001 V70 wagon but it overheats easily, especially going up any type of grade. I am wondering if it needs a new water pump. The radiator reserve is full and I do smell evidence of an over-heated engine when I park it, so it is not a faulty thermostat. It settles down when in park and just idling. I am thinking it might be the water pump. Any thoughts?

pierce 04-15-2019 06:23 PM

Utah23, this is the 240/740/940 forum for the old RWD cars of the 80s,early 90s... you probably want the V70-II forum. Drastically different cars with different engine families and everything.