a diesel gem

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a diesel gem

I was out for a drive in the coutry the other day and i came across a rare find for sale... the car an 84 760diesel. I stopped and chatted with the owner of the car and to my surprise the car is at 64,000kms!!! He is asking $6500CAD and is firm! Everything is mint, i didnt get a look underneath, but i would imagine its in just as good a shape. The draw backs are... the car sat for 5 years inside,it was started once in a while to move it out of the way and around the garage,needs an engine mount, battery,new V beltsand brakes all round( still the original ones i bet). I can do all that no prob except for the engine mount. However my concern lies with the car being sat for 5 years. A flush and replacment of all fluids is in order as soon as i get it home, but what other problems or issues can arise from this? Has anyone ever owned one of these cars before?? Also what kind of things should i do for a tune up on this diesel, im not too familiar withdiesel engines, im used to my 740Turbo and960. Any information is appreciated!> I am really tempted to buy this car, my first car was a VW Jetta diesel but i fell inlove with Volvos, but now i can get the best of both worlds!!!

Old 11-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Default RE: a diesel gem

I have an '84 that was just laid to rest. I had some work done over the five years that I drove it. The biggest thing was the 'Injection pump belt' located on the rear of the motor next to the firewall. Had to get a guy that worked for volvo in austria to fix it. The motor is an interference motor so the settings are important. Tune up wise it is not that difficult. Glow plugs instead of spark plugs. There are six down the L side of the motor. All are easy to get except #6 pain in the A#$. All of the filters are VERY easy to get to and readily available from local parts stores. I learned A LOT about that car in five years. Anything else just ask. I hope I can help. PS if you need parts let me know.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Default RE: a diesel gem

Once you go black (smoke), you never go back.. lol

Having owned 8 Mercedes Diesels, and now this Volvo Estate diesel, there is just something about a diesel car that gets in your veins and wont leave. I'd say go for it, much easier to fix and I think cheaper to run. Let us know if you get it.. And if/when you do, pics are mandatory.