What do you guys look for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 02:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you guys look for?

Hey guys. When you check out a used 960 that you're thinking about buying, what do you look for? I'm asking this question, because I'm a Volvo newbie and I found a 97, 960 that I'd like to buy. I've seen a ton of pictures of it, both inside and out and from what I've seen, it's a really clean car. I already checked the door upholstry on the window sills and it's fine (no wrinkles).

From doing some research on these cars, I already know to check the condition of the catalytic convertor (because they're so expensive to replace), to check the moonroof for leaks (a common problem with these cars, from what I've read), to check the function of all the electrical components (like power seats, mirrors, etc.), but I think I read somewhere that it's a good idea when evaluating these cars, to turn the a/c on full blast and then accelerate the car hard. If the a/c cuts out, you know you have an expensive problem. If the a/c cuts out when you do this test, wouldn't that just mean you have a bad WOT switch, or would it mean an expensive a/c system repair?

Is there anything else you normally check on these cars, that's not common sense? I know to check the normal run of the mill things, like engine condition, etc.

Thanks in advance for any tips, or help.

Vic

Old 03-21-2007, 11:11 PM
Default RE: What do you guys look for?

ORIGINAL: Volvo Vic

Hey guys. When you check out a used 960 that you're thinking about buying, what do you look for? I'm asking this question, because I'm a Volvo newbie and I found a 97, 960 that I'd like to buy. I've seen a ton of pictures of it, both inside and out and from what I've seen, it's a really clean car. I already checked the door upholstry on the window sills and it's fine (no wrinkles).

From doing some research on these cars, I already know to check the condition of the catalytic convertor (because they're so expensive to replace), to check the moonroof for leaks (a common problem with these cars, from what I've read), to check the function of all the electrical components (like power seats, mirrors, etc.), but I think I read somewhere that it's a good idea when evaluating these cars, to turn the a/c on full blast and then accelerate the car hard. If the a/c cuts out, you know you have an expensive problem. If the a/c cuts out when you do this test, wouldn't that just mean you have a bad WOT switch, or would it mean an expensive a/c system repair?

Is there anything else you normally check on these cars, that's not common sense? I know to check the normal run of the mill things, like engine condition, etc.

Thanks in advance for any tips, or help.

Vic
INSPECTION CERTIFICATION

Old 03-22-2007, 12:03 AM
Default RE: What do you guys look for?

Okay, when you say the AC cuts out, do you mean on any setting or on automatic. Isn't it supposed to pause while accelerating when you have it on auto and then resume when you are at a cruising speed. I asked a Volvo dealer about this and they said it is normal. My 95' 960 does this and we had a 00' V70 that did the same thing. It always seemed normal to me. Are you talking about a different kind of cutting out.