Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   1996 855R 175k Blue smoke on hot start and heavy throttle (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/1996-855r-175k-blue-smoke-hot-start-heavy-throttle-74216/)

Denton 10-15-2013 05:29 PM

1996 855R 175k Blue smoke on hot start and heavy throttle

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

After acquiring a one-owner '96 855R back in June I've been battling a few issues.

Attachment 16772

Oil consumption more than 1qt/1000 miles

New Volvo OE PCV kit/hoses
New Volvo OE turbo drain line (???)
New Volvo OE intercoooler hose (the tree)
New intake elbow with sensor? Long plastic hose
New Volvo OE front O2 sensor
New Eurosport Tuning 3" downpipe with race cat.

When I bought it it threw an O2 code and cat code. O2 was fouled and cat was plugged up.

After changing PCV, oil no longer smokes out the dipstick.

Current issues:
Oil Consumption
Smoke on hot start. Drive car to operating temp, shut off for a few minutes to an hour, and get a good puff of blue smoke out of tailpipe.
I swear it's starting to smoke around engine bay. I'm wondering if it's hitting the manifold but when I'm in gridlock sometimes I can smell oil smoke, and swear I've seen just a bit of blue smoke coming from underhood.

Any ideas? Haven't pulled the 15G and honestly wouldn't know what to look for.

Kiss4aFrog 10-15-2013 07:55 PM

"Smoke on hot start. Drive car to operating temp, shut off for a few minutes to an hour, and get a good puff of blue smoke out of tailpipe."

That is a pretty classic effect of the valve stem seals starting to go out. You shut it off and some of the oil in the head follows the valve stem down to the combustion chamber or top of the valve waiting to be sucked in and burnt causing a bit of blue smoke on start up.

Denton 10-15-2013 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog (Post 368679)
"Smoke on hot start. Drive car to operating temp, shut off for a few minutes to an hour, and get a good puff of blue smoke out of tailpipe."

That is a pretty classic effect of the valve stem seals starting to go out. You shut it off and some of the oil in the head follows the valve stem down to the combustion chamber or top of the valve waiting to be sucked in and burnt causing a bit of blue smoke on start up.

Interesting thought. Even if there's no smoke on a cold start? I'll double-check that tomorrow morning though.

rspi 10-15-2013 11:14 PM

If you have a bad turbo, it will get worse quick. You can pull the intake to the turbo and check for shaft play. I have a turbo if you need it.

gdog 10-15-2013 11:34 PM

Denton, sweet ride!!

but you didn't say how many miles on the clock? Could need it all:
  1. valve stem seals
  2. turbo OH
  3. rings,
  4. engine OH :eek:
Bring it back to life, nice car!

OK, just saw mileage in your topic; could possibly need all of above if PO didn't care for it..

Denton 10-16-2013 10:06 PM

Thanks guys. After I check the turbo I'll see what I want to do.

I'm $8k into the car, part of me wants to cut it here and part of me wants to keep it. Love the car but a career change might force me into a newer car. Hope it's valve stem seals or a turbo.

:(