Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   850 glt turbo. Swap options? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/850-glt-turbo-swap-options-94880/)

Wicked72 12-16-2017 01:12 PM

850 glt turbo. Swap options?

I have a 97 glt turbo wagon as my daily. Recently the motor started to eat coolant due to a cracked cylinder. I have a 95 sedan that needs to much work but the engine runs fine. From what im seeing the compression is a little higher on the na. I believe 10:1 and the LPT engine is around 9? Im not completely sure. Anyway i am thinking of just swapping the whole engine a trans(5speed) over to my wagon and keeping the LPT setup. I would assume it would be fine as long as i run higher octane and swap the trans ecu. Any advice would be great thanks!

Wicked72 12-16-2017 01:18 PM

Im sorry its a 94 na 850

Wicked72 12-16-2017 02:18 PM

Seeing that the na motor is 10.5:1 and the glt is 9:1. Id probably have to get tuning done and i would work just find but its not worth it to me. I think ill look into a replacement engine. Does anyone know if the 850 glt motors are B5254T ?

bmdubya1198 12-17-2017 09:53 AM

I don't think the NA motor will swap right over to the turbo while keeping the turbo setup. Really, you can't even keep it NA.
From what I understand, the harnesses are fairly different. Plus you won't have important things to the turbo setup like the oil feed and drain on the NA block.
The M56 and manual parts can be swapped over, but you will need a turbo engine. Any turbo engine will work, RN (1999+) will work if you swap over all of your accessories like the distributor, intake manifold/throttle body, alternator, belt, etc. The TCM (transmission computer) can just be removed, the manual cars do not use them at all.

And yes, your engine is a B5254T light pressure turbo.

Wicked72 12-17-2017 09:48 PM

Well i have two cars. Can the na harness be swapped over? And can i keep the auto trans currently in my daily? 3rd gear is in bad shape on the man trans. My machine shop can repair my block for cheap which is an option but it will take alot of time. I sent an email to IPD to see if they can just tune for the high compression. As far as oil and cooling for the turbo thats not hard to do at all. If i could find a used turbo motor cheap enough id rather do that but its almost as much as a complete car for just an engine.

Wicked72 12-18-2017 07:28 AM

I contacted IPD to see if they can tune for the high compression. If they can ill use the NA motor. As far as the oil and coolant lines thats easy enough to setup. Does anyone know if the coolant side of the 13g turbo can fail and leak into the turbo or is the coolant just contained in the housing?

bmdubya1198 12-18-2017 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Wicked72 (Post 454425)
I contacted IPD to see if they can tune for the high compression. If they can ill use the NA motor. As far as the oil and coolant lines thats easy enough to setup. Does anyone know if the coolant side of the 13g turbo can fail and leak into the turbo or is the coolant just contained in the housing?

I'm pretty sure it's contained within the housing. You don't usually hear about the cooling passages in the turbo fracturing and leaking.
That's true, though, the oil and coolant lines aren't too hard to set up on your own. But as I said, from what I've heard, an NA to turbo setup isn't the easiest thing with these engines. But that doesn't at all mean it can't be done, all it means is that it will take more work than a simple swap. I haven't done enough research on the topic to say much about it.

Wicked72 12-18-2017 09:38 AM

Since the engines are identical besides the pistons, cams and turbo provisions i cant see it being very difficult. Everything is already there that i need accept a safe tune for 10.5:1 compression.

bmdubya1198 12-18-2017 10:23 AM

For the most part, yes, but there are a lot of small differences between the two engines.
You will need to use turbo injectors as well to avoid running the engine too lean.

I high recommend posting a thread on Volvospeed. That site is probably the best when it comes to swaps and performance modifications.

tryingbe 12-18-2017 07:24 PM

It'll probably physically fit, but how well would it run with the ECU is that made for something else? I guess you'll find out for us.

Wicked72 12-19-2017 06:18 PM

Ok let me make it more detailed. Id would be using ALL the factory turbo parts that are currently on the car. The only issue is 1.5:1 higher compression. If someone cant figure out how to route oil and coolant lines to a turbo they should not touch an engine. I could actually run the factory glt ecu but it would have detonation issues underload unless i ran a very high octane which is not what i want. So ive emailed IPD and ARD to see if they can tune for it.