Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   96 850 Won't Start (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/96-850-wont-start-51402/)

Turboholic 03-15-2011 04:04 PM

96 850 Won't Start

Alright, got a 96 N/A 850 5-speed that won't start. It won't even turn over. Nothing. It runs fine for days, then... nothing.

Battery is new (and fine).
Alternator is new (and fine).
Starter is new within the year.

No check engine light, and no codes. Last time it happened, I simply pulled the plastic cover off the solenoid, and it started... but didn't touch any wires or anything as I did it. Checked voltage at all points, and everything is as it should be. Moved the wires around while turning it over, and it was totally fine (Once it started, it continued to start).

The car has always started without the need for the clutch pedal being pushed in, (I can't imagine this is the design?), but it doesn't turn over regardless of pedal position.

--- Any ideas? From what I know, it does start with a jump. There is adequate voltage for a start, and the draw while cranking is not excessive. The battery has been load tested, and has been proven to be okay. Nothing is drawing current while the car is off (and battery has a full charge, all of the time).

Thanks!

rspi 03-15-2011 09:57 PM

If the car is not cranking you probably have an ignition problem.

hookuspookus 03-16-2011 04:40 AM

have you checked the ignition relay ?

Turboholic 03-16-2011 07:12 AM

Ignition Relay? In addition to the starter solenoid, or are you referring to the same thing? Where is it located?

I'll be honest, I was hoping someone else had the same problem, and would maybe see this and say 'oh! It's definitely this!'.

The car is my parents, I've moved out, so they no longer have their resident mechanic, and it's not as easy for me to just run over there every time they have a problem (hence my posting here). I'm a Master ASE Certified Tech, but have 0 time to actually look at it thoroughly. Looks like I may need to just bite the bullet and do a full diag.

Volvo Mechanic 03-17-2011 01:58 AM

Check your timing belt.

Aftermidnight 03-17-2011 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Turboholic (Post 261306)
Alright, got a 96 N/A 850 5-speed that won't start. It won't even turn over. Nothing. It runs fine for days, then... nothing.

Battery is new (and fine).
Alternator is new (and fine).
Starter is new within the year.

No check engine light, and no codes.

Thanks!

I had the same issue with my last no start. Almost everything has been replaced in the 3 years of ownership. For the first time I had to get a tow and it turned out to be the fuel pump, my mechanic said it was the original.

Turboholic 03-17-2011 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Volvo Mechanic (Post 261611)
Check your timing belt.

I hope your joking?

Originally Posted by Aftermidnight (Post 261614)
I had the same issue with my last no start. Almost everything has been replaced in the 3 years of ownership. For the first time I had to get a tow and it turned out to be the fuel pump, my mechanic said it was the original.

As said in the original post, it doesn't even crank. It's not that it cranks and never turns over (which could indicate fuel pump), it doesn't do ANYTHING. You turn the key to run, all the lights come on, as normal, you turn it to start, all lights that normally go off in 'start' go out, the car acts as if its trying to start, but nothing is actually happening.

Aftermidnight 03-17-2011 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Turboholic (Post 261632)
As I said in the original post, it doesn't even crank. It's not that it cranks and never turns over (which could indicate fuel pump), it doesn't do ANYTHING. You turn the key to run, all the lights come on, as normal, you turn it to start, all lights that normally go off in 'start' go out, the car acts as if its trying to start, but nothing is actually happening.

Mine did the same.

Turboholic 03-22-2011 08:02 AM

Does anyone have electrical schematics for the 850 NA? Ignition/engine specifically.

Thanks!

JimKW 03-22-2011 08:36 AM

You said if you jump it, it starts? I know this is simple, but have you cleaned the battery terminals and connections? Be great if it was that simple.

boxpin 03-22-2011 10:27 AM

Just because the starter was replaced a year ago you cant discount it could still be the problem. You should be starting your quest at the starter. It could be the Starter solenoid and the extra voltage from a jump is enough to push it past its sticking point, remember...the motor will not engage until the solenoid is thrown to make the points contact within the starter motor.

You really should put a test light on the trigger line on the starter to see if its getting voltage to fire the solenoid. this will eliminate whether its the main voltage or the trigger/ignition switch. A starter is a simple component and should be easily figured out.

MattyXXL 03-22-2011 12:02 PM

When you turn the key from on to start do the light go out and come back on when you let off?
If not it could be a ignition switch connection or a bad switch.

timwu12 04-24-2011 12:09 AM

oh man, i experienced this SAME problem today! same year and model too (96 n/a 5 speed)!!! did you ever figure out what was wrong with your car?

Lulumike 04-26-2011 03:58 AM

Same thing with my 1994 850, stick shift. It's been at the garage now for 3 months and they still can't figure it out. Maybe hire an exocist? Good thing I have another (Hyundai) that works.

timwu12 04-26-2011 09:57 AM

i ended up just buying a new battery and problem solved....even though the old one was still holding 12V and charging at 13V.....but! when i went to crank it, it'd drop all the way down to 3-4V at cranking

Turboholic 04-27-2011 05:55 AM

I still haven't figured out what was going on. It's still acting funny, and the battery has been replaced many times. There is no draw with the car off. Just haven't had time to really get into it.

Lulumike 04-27-2011 12:24 PM

That could be it; since the battery's time is about up. But what if it had a charger on it at the time of cranking or being jumped while cranking? Would that not take care of the old battery cause?

mhphoto 04-27-2011 07:25 PM

I have the same thing wrong with mine. Good battery and battery contacts. I turn mine to the starting position and all the lights come on. They don't dim at all. I'll let up on the switch and return it to the position where all the electronics still work and the lights are on. My record for start attempts is 10, set yesterday…

Turboholic 04-28-2011 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lulumike (Post 268556)
That could be it; since the battery's time is about up. But what if it had a charger on it at the time of cranking or being jumped while cranking? Would that not take care of the old battery cause?

I don't know if you're referencing my problem, or someone else's comments about their problems, but my battery is brand new, as stated, and starts every single time when jumped. The battery is absolutely definitely not my problem.

Originally Posted by mhphoto (Post 268588)
I have the same thing wrong with mine. Good battery and battery contacts. I turn mine to the starting position and all the lights come on. They don't dim at all. I'll let up on the switch and return it to the position where all the electronics still work and the lights are on. My record for start attempts is 10, set yesterday…

Sounds like an ignition switch issue. All the lights should shut off when you go to the 'start' position. Make sure to check voltage at the switch, and at the terminal on the starter solenoid. -- This isn't the same problem I'm having. The switch is working perfectly, there is voltage everywhere there should be, and everything is acting like nothing is wrong, besides the fact its not turning over whatsoever unless jumped.

hookuspookus 04-29-2011 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Turboholic (Post 268654)
I don't know if you're referencing my problem, or someone else's comments about their problems, but my battery is brand new, as stated, and starts every single time when jumped. The battery is absolutely definitely not my problem.

Sounds like an ignition switch issue. All the lights should shut off when you go to the 'start' position. Make sure to check voltage at the switch, and at the terminal on the starter solenoid. -- This isn't the same problem I'm having. The switch is working perfectly, there is voltage everywhere there should be, and everything is acting like nothing is wrong, besides the fact its not turning over whatsoever unless jumped.

listen , and new batteries can be bad too , is it a diehard ? did you have a ALTERNTOR shop check your alternator ? and not Pep boys ? Did you check your starter relay ? or to see if you have a fusible link near your starter ? The ONLY reason i have one of these TIN CANS is because of the wife otherwise i would have sent it to the CRUSHSER along time ago and have bought her a GOOD car ! I also read what BOXPIN said ,was it a NEW starter or rebuilt ? This can also be the problem , Good call BOXPIN , check your warranty