Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Attaching Instrument Cluster to Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attaching Instrument Cluster to Dashboard

The part on the dash that the instrument cluster "clips" to... what do you do if those plastic pieces have broken off? Meaning I can't clip it anymore... is this a replaceable part? Looks like it might be the top of the dash (under the cover).

Anyone ever swap this out?

Old 07-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Former Sponsor

I have never seen a replacement part for this. I guess the only fix would be to glue it.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

That is part of the main dash. What I have had to do for customers before was pack some news paper or cardboard behind the cluster to make it sit tight and leave it that way.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a piece of wood behind mine and then wedged it it behind the cluster on one of my cars. Still rattles a little though I have to admit, but it's such a pain to open it up to pack it better.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:29 AM

Wow guys... such nice cars and you're essentially telling me to "jerry-rig" it.

I'm never very ingenuitive when it comes to things like this (which I why i'm not an engineer)... but i'm thinking of maybe heading to the junkyard, finding some of the plastic brackets, dremmelling them off, and then smoothing mine down and using some epoxy to attach them... but i'm also afraid that "glue" isn't going to hold it... seeing as how it snaps to it.

I can't stand this rattling for much longer. But I also don't want to pack any crap back there to simply "wedge" it.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

The only real good solution then is to replace the entire dash. My solution is I let my wife drive that car and I drive the other one. I can't stand the rattles either.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:02 AM

Yea... but jesus... I really don't want to replace the entire dash... just need to figure out a way I can re-attach it. You think epoxy would work? Any recommendations on a type of epoxy?

I've also got a very pesky rattle I can't seem to solve behind my MCC unit. It squeks, I push on it and it stops, let go and it starts again.

I took the ***** off, unscrewed the 2 or 3 screws that are behind them and put some lock-tite around the threads, that seemed to fix it for a while... and then it returned. Should I maybe try teflon tape instead of the liquid lock-tite?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:33 AM

Just curious... does FCP groton sell a replacement dash? ... eh, nevermind... not something I want to even consider.

Last edited by TacklaNHL; 07-14-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, I don't think anyone sells replacement dashes. Maybe a dealership. And no, I don't think epoxy will hold it at all. I think as soon as you put pressure on it it will snap. Could maybe try some JB Weld.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:22 PM

JB weld is for metal surfaces right?

Old 07-14-2010, 02:40 PM

I think they have stuff for plastic. I know there's plastic weld.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:11 PM

Excellent. This gave me great justification to drop the cash on a cordless dremmel. I'm going to find those plastic bars on a volvo in the junk yard, dremmel them off, smooth mine out, and then "plastic weld" them on. And give that a shot.

And now that I have a dremmel, maybe i'll try to open those holes for the fog lights on my bumper (yesterday when I was under there replacing the O2 sensor I noticed the circle "cutouts" in the backside of the bumper.) I've wired up Catz before on a friend's ride... this should be similar and really look great.

All these projects! I love it!

Old 07-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Why not just take the dash out of the Volvo in the junk yard? You are going to ruin it by cutting those off anyway.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Yikes! I don't want to break my dash. I need to replace my AC evaporator coil and now you guys have me scared. Is there good instructions on getting the dash out without breaking something?

BTW, Jim, it really cracks me up when you say "my wife drives it now with the squeeking" or "I sent my wife to the store to test the brakes". I love it! LOL

Last edited by rspi; 07-14-2010 at 06:30 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I'd just buy a dash at a junk yard. I can pretty much guarantee you that even plastic weld isn't gonna hold up to the pressure of a clamp on it. If you really want to fix it right, that's gonna be your best bet.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

My son and son-in-law just did mine and didn't break anything. At least not that I know of. The cluster is back in with no rattling. When I did the white one, it looked like it had been out many times and was already broke when I took it apart. The yellow one was in much better shape on the inside.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:59 AM

Right, if you want to do it right you should replace the dash. Like I said, plastic weld is probably your best bet, but I still doubt it will hold against the pressure of the clamps.

Google Search Dash Removal.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I year ago I tood my cluster out to replace the light bulbs (couldn't see my gas gauge at night) and I had not troubles. Also had no idea that these things could break and cause such headaches.

BTW, here is the link from Bay 13 that I followed. Great description.

http://volvospeed.com/Dashremove.php

Good Luck

Old 07-15-2010, 12:04 PM

That is going to take me so long to remove the dash. And then I have to remove all the switches and everything... for 2 stupid little plastic bars? Geez... I'm worried that they won't hold up to the clamps also... but replacing the dash is total beast. Plus, I gotta find the right color then. Ugh, this sucks.

For the record... one was broken before I got the car, and then most recently after I opened it, I discovered that all the pressure of only one being there had broken it... after I un-clipped it, it just crumbled.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:15 PM

I'm so good at removing the dash pad now... i've done it probably a half-dozen times.

But the ENTIRE dash? Ugh...

Anyone know any "how-to's" out there for ENTIRE DASH REMOVAL??

I'm thinking I might consider a wood block jammed in behind the instrument cluster... even though I hate that idea. But I guess if I could find a replacement dash, I could fix one or two other broken brackets where the dash pad connects to it.

Quick Reply: Attaching Instrument Cluster to Dashboard