Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Car troubles

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 03:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car troubles

Alright so i was driving today and the my car seemed to be running weired. So i steped on the gas and the car was just guttless. When i steped on it, it seemed that it slowed down and would not go over 30mph. My first guess was one of my intercooler piping hoses blew of because i have been in a car that has done that and it seemed like that may be the problem. So i pulled of the road checked all the hoses and they were fine. So i started the car i figured i should start limping home in my car but on the way the car died around a corner. So now the car will not start at all! My guess is that my fuel pump in my car has gone bad because i have had a car have these similar syptoms and it was the fuel pump that has gone bad.

Please comment on things to check for problems or to replace on my car.

Old 09-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Car troubles

It could also be a bad massflow sensor or bad throttle position sensor.

First unplug the massflow sensor and see if the car starts.You can also check for fuel by pushing in the valve in the end of the fuel rail and see if fuel comes out.

Try that and let me know.

Old 09-11-2005, 02:47 PM

Ok so i unpluged the massflow sensor and it did not start. I pushed in the valve on the fuel rail and gas shot out of it. So i figured hey why not try starting it again. So i turned it on with the massflow sensor hooked up and it fired up. It runns very rough and the engine shakes alot! and it seems to be idleing at like 500rpm witch is probably way to low. Well now it starts, but i would not dare drive it. Maybe it could be that throttle position sensor you were talking about.

Old 09-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Administrator

It could be also make sure you have no major vaccum leaks.

Old 09-11-2005, 06:39 PM

Where are the vacum lines that i should check? I can really only see like 1. There are more than that, rite?

Old 09-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Administrator

There is a lot of Vaccum lines look under the cover that goes over the throttle body.
Also check the hoses from the throttle body and the intercooler.

Old 09-12-2005, 01:10 AM

Really make sure you check all the intercooler hoses, especially the one that goes to the throttle body. Mine had a hole underneath and really wasn't visible. Hope that helps!

Old 09-12-2005, 07:15 PM

The vacum lines and intercooler hoses seem to look fine to me and my father. I have noticed a large amount of like oil and soot build up on top of the turbo where the intercooler hose connects and there is also like a oily resudue on the hose near the turbo. Maybe that is my boost leak? and i also noticed and little amount of oil that drips from a little hole that is on the bottom of the intercooler is this normal? I am starting to realize that i might not be able to fix my car myself! The check engine light has been on ever since i have bought the car but i was told it was something with the Massflow sensor and the car seemed to run fine anyway. Should i just give up and go to a dealer?

Old 09-12-2005, 08:35 PM
Administrator

The oil residue near the turbo is pretty much normal.You will always get that.
The drop from the intercooler is the oil running out of the little DRAIN hole that is there.

If you have a code for a Massflow sensor that may be your entire problem.

The Massflow sensor is one of the most important sensors in the system.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:53 PM

You probaly are rite. The guy that i bought it from said the code said: low input voltage to the massflow sensor. So i jsut cleaned the connection and put dilectric grease on it and the car ran fine for about a month till now. I checked for spark by pulling a spark plug and putting the wire back on the plug and turning the car over for a second and we did not get spark, we did this multiple times and did not get spark. Did we check for spark the wrong way? or does it probably not have spark. The car doesnt even run anymore it just turns over and doesnt start.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Try statring the car with the mass flow unplugged.If the mass flow is bad it will start with it unplugged.

If not then Check for spark again by pulling a plug wire and installing an old plug and letting it sit on ground and see if it sparks.

Old 09-14-2005, 03:34 AM

I checked for spark by pulling a spark plug and putting the wire back on the plug and turning the car over for a second and we did not get spark, we did this multiple times and did not get spark. Did we check for spark the wrong way?
That is how I check for spark -- remove a spark plug wire and attach to an old known working spark plug. However, you forgot to do one thing -- place the spark plug on the frame or the engine block -- you forgot to ground the spark plug.

Most folks simply remove a spark plug wire and hold it about 1/4 inch away from the engine block, and watch the spark jump. I just don't like the idea of being anywhere near anything having electricity running thru it.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:29 PM

Alright so now i do have spark. Now i think im going to check the fuel pressure. Does anyone know what the stock fuel pressure is supposed to be?

Old 09-15-2005, 12:07 AM

FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR

Line pressure 300 kPa (43 psi)

Rest pressure 200 - 300 kPa (28 - 43 psi)

WASTEGATE VALVE

Max. charge pressure 48 - 54 kPa (6.8 - 7.7 psi)

Charge pressure basic setting 51 kPa (7.3 psi)

Hope this helps!

Old 09-15-2005, 06:12 PM

I tested for fuel pressure at the fuel rail and the most me and my father could get was 20psi. The car will not start and just keeps turning over. Is it a bad fuel pump?

Old 09-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Sounds like that or a clogged filter.

Old 09-17-2005, 07:28 PM

Alright so i replaced fuel pump and also found a vacum leak. The caum leak was on the left side of the intake maifold in a very hard to reach spot. I think i fixed that leak. But the car still runs very rough and now it has a very loud knock to the engine. I checked the oil and the oil level is good. Man when will these problems end........

Old 09-18-2005, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Does the oil smell like fuel?

Old 09-18-2005, 03:24 PM

ORIGINAL: tech
Does the oil smell like fuel?
Good point. I forgot about this. If you spent a lot of time cranking the engine, fuel was being sprayed into the cylinders. Since the engine did not start, the fuel will seep past the piston rings -- and flow right into the oil.

Most likely, your oil is diluted with fuel. I would drain and refill with fresh oil, especially if you have a turbo.

Old 09-20-2005, 01:09 AM

I changed the oil and the car still does not run right. The engine knocks very loudly and the engine runs rough. I have talked to a freind and he said it could posibly be a bad Fuel Pressure regulator causing the mixture to be to ritch at idle and the n to lean and full boost.

Quick Reply: Car troubles