Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   Car won't start, battery fine, hazard lights flashing?!? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/car-wont-start-battery-fine-hazard-lights-flashing-20255/)

erickfredrick 05-23-2008 02:38 PM

Car won't start, battery fine, hazard lights flashing?!?

Hi again!!

1996 850 Turbo

Car would not start a few days ago, so I jumped it and it was fine...nothing was left on.
Today the car will not start again, but jumping did not help. The car has been completely fine since the last time it would not start.

When I turned the key to start the car, it would not start, but the hazard lights started flashing, WITHOUT the hazard light button being depressed.
The battery tests fine.

I don't know much about cars. Any ideas?

Erick

tech 05-23-2008 06:10 PM

RE: Car won't start, battery fine, hazard lights flashing?!?

The alarm was triggered.

erickfredrick 05-23-2008 07:58 PM

I suppose that would explain the flashing red light in the dash... So what do I do about it, and how do I prevent it in the future? Thanks!

Erick

tech 05-23-2008 08:18 PM

Lock and unlock the car and it should reset the alarm.
It must not have unlocked all the way before.

erickfredrick 05-23-2008 08:44 PM

What a relief. thankyou so much!!

Erick

tech 05-23-2008 08:47 PM

No problem anytime.

Quick Brick 05-24-2008 01:41 AM

Hey now,

I had the "alarm" problem once when on a date :D.

I used the fob to lock the doors but used the key on the passenger side, the chivalry thing, and as soon as I turned the key the lights and horn started going and all I could do was laugh [sm=smiley36.gif]. If it was going to happen, it was going to happen then. Date and all.

I had to go to the drivers side and use the key in the door to turn the alarm off then go back for a second try at the door for my date. Giggling all the way :).

Glad it all worked out for you and didn't cost anything to fix.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

JPN 05-24-2008 05:22 AM

>I had the "alarm" problem once when on a date

I believe it was part of Volvo's design philosophy to get people's attention, be it the woman or the car.

Swedish way of romance.....:)

JPN

Quick Brick 05-24-2008 12:10 PM

Hey now JPN,

[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

It did, however, turn out to be a bowchickawawa [sm=happy046.gif][sm=wootwoot.gif]kinda night [sm=smiley20.gif].

Still glad for you,Erickfredrick.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Vjc 09-10-2011 06:14 PM

Replaced Volvo 850 95" w/ new battery..would not start. No spark in ignition coil..replaced coil, still will not start. checked distributor wires etc.good. Is this a computer glitch? Still no spark in the new coil..checked all fuses..good.

rspi 09-10-2011 07:26 PM

Search a few things about the cam sensor.

joegal777 02-03-2015 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by tech (Post 104483)
Lock and unlock the car and it should reset the alarm.
It must not have unlocked all the way before.

This information just saved me a tow. This happened to me 10 years ago but I forgot how to fix it. Like Wax on Wax off, it was Lock off lock on, car starts!
Bingo!

Thanks

alecw81 11-01-2015 12:38 PM

Had this same thing happen to me today with my 98 S70 GLT.

The car sat for about a year, jumped, drove 2 hours, ran fine.

Then I parked it at my new home, and it sat for another 3-4 months or so.

Today I picked up a new battery at Costco (HG48), that fits perfectly.

As soon as I connected both terminals, the alarm went off, and nothing will shut it up.

I have the key fobs, but both of them have dead , and I'm assuming that simply putting in new batteries won't be all it takes right?

alecw81 11-01-2015 04:35 PM

I'm an idiot.

Let it rest for a few hours, popped the hood, locked the doors, hooked up the battery.

Alarm sounded again, but simply turning the key in the drivers door turned it off. Car started, all good in the hood.

Kelly Crowley 10-13-2017 09:10 PM

Car won't start flashers flashing...

Originally Posted by tech (Post 104462)
The alarm was triggered.

Battery is fine. My boyfriend had reached through the back door window to open it and let his dog out. When I got in, turned the key, nothing worked but the flashers. Read this post. Got out. Locked the car and then unlocked it. Got in. Turned the key... No flashers and the car started. Thank you for this post!

Kimberly Davis 11-25-2017 11:45 AM

Thank you

This car is almost 20 years old and when this happened I thought the car was dead forever...but I locked the door and unlocked....and it worked just fine.....thanks so much for your help!