Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   CD changer error code E-02 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/cd-changer-error-code-e-02-a-60932/)

850forum 02-18-2012 07:10 PM

CD changer error code E-02

What does code E-02 signify and how do I fix it?

rspi 02-18-2012 11:03 PM

You likely have a changer that is stuck in the 2 disk slot. Best to abandon it all together. Get a cheap mp3 player and rig it through the deck or cassette adapter. If you don't have a cd built in the deck, go to a jy and get one real quick.

850forum 02-18-2012 11:18 PM

"2 disk slot" ???

You mean the cassette has a jammed disk in the second carrier?

MC92 02-19-2012 12:12 AM

This happens to me all the time. First have the radio on, then (most likely the deck that holds all the cds had pop out), push it back in to have the cd insert back into the deck and eject the deck out. Then put it back in and let it register/check the cds. It should work now. Or the cd is stuck or something, but you should do the same procedure. My deck always pop out for some reason and that is how I fix it. :/

850forum 02-23-2012 06:55 PM

A CD was stuck in the mechanism; it would not return to the cassette.

I disassembled the case to get to it; had to lift the spindle mechanism with a screwdriver & pull the CD out with needlenose pliers.

Case is a pain; the corner where the wires go in will require careful prying or else you will simply bend it when trying to remove the top of the casing. You might also break a circuit board. The power wire can be removed from the circuit board, the control wire has a quick disconnect on the pigtail.

Also lubricated the rollers with the same stuff used on printer rollers. Be careful not to get globs of gear lubricant onto the rollers while using your long cotton swab.

850forum 06-26-2012 07:04 PM

Well, the changer stopped working and it seems that it was not moving the CD from the carrier into the spindle mechanism. Took it apart & cleaned the rubber rollers.

Now there is no power going to the changer -- no voltage on the power wire. So there must be a blown fuse in-line SOMEWHERE ??? Don't see anything right behind the radio in the dash.

rspi 06-26-2012 07:46 PM

Do you still play cd's? Do you not have a cd drive in the head unit?

850forum 06-26-2012 08:25 PM

1995, has the cassette that holds 6 CDs. The changer is in the back of the car.

rspi 06-27-2012 05:50 AM

So, does your head unit have a cd slot for a single cd? I never knew of a cassette that you could put cd's in.

850forum 06-27-2012 09:14 PM

Not "cassette tape." A cassette that holds 6 CDs which is then put into the CD changer (in the trunk). Controlled from the portion in the dash that has the radio & also a tape cassette player.

Did Volvo ever make a radio that had both a single slot CD and cassette tape player? That might be cheaper than trying to replace the changer.