Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   Code 214 Engine RPM Sensor Signal Absent (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/code-214-engine-rpm-sensor-signal-absent-35647/)

Squiggy 10-21-2009 01:57 AM

Code 214 Engine RPM Sensor Signal Absent - Won't Start!

So my car has been running like a dream since I bought it about 18 months ago. No drivability issues whatsoever. Haven't touched a thing except for new brakes and a new tip for the muffler. lol

One deal that happened about five weeks ago is that the pesky 'Check Engine' light lit up on my instrument panel but the car was running great and I didn't realize I could pull the fault codes without a scanner (1994 850 Turbo). I kinda just ignored the light. heh (face reddens)

Then I hop in my chariot last night to go to work. Turn the key. Engine runs for 1 second and dies. No dice after that. Would not start again. Engine turns over. Seems to have spark. Fresh tank of gas. huh

The next day (after hitching a ride to work and walking home) I discovered fault code 214 "Engine RPM Sensor Signal Absent".

My plan of attack at this point is to buy an new RPM Sensor (also called a 'Crankshaft Sensor' or 'Turbo Reference Sensor' I hear - not to be confused with the camshaft sensor I hear).

Sound like a reasonable plan?

I did find mention of a Technical Service Bulletin issued years ago recommending that people take a zip-tie and secure the wires of the RPM Sensor away from the the ignition wires but upon inspection they did not appear to be close to each other so I didn't bother trying that. The only thing I noticed visually (that was not right) is that the plastic protective shielding around some of the wires in the general area is old, brittle, cracked, and even missing in some places so I plan to replace it. Doubt it prevents electrical interference between components but then again... what do I know!

Thanks for any advice,
-Squig

fcpgroton 10-21-2009 09:17 AM

Yeah, you have all the signs of a failed RPM (CPS) sensor. All you need to do is order a new one and swap it out and you will be good to go. If you have not order the sensor, you can find it here.

Squiggy 10-21-2009 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by fcpgroton (Post 188426)
Yeah, you have all the signs of a failed RPM (CPS) sensor.

Sold! Guess that'll teach me not to put a piece of black electrical tape over that pesky red 'Check Engine' light. heh

Squiggy 10-29-2009 09:23 PM

I replaced the RPM sensor tonight and the car still won't start. Turns over fine. Just won't fire up. No strange noises. Still has a 2-1-4 code and I can't seem to delete it. Put the little pin in port 2 of module A. Press the button for '5 seconds', wait for '3 seconds' for the red light to illuminate (which it does, but it wants to blink not just illuminate), press the button for '5 more seconds' while the light is illuminated. That should clear the code but it doesn't.

Must a code be cleared before the car will start? Hmm. So far one week without a car. No idea what to do next. Guess I could check to see if the timing belt jumped or snapped. Sigh.