Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   Emissions failure, need help (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/emissions-failure-need-help-17322/)

pollock 02-05-2008 06:28 PM

Emissions failure, need help

Car is a 96 850 with turbo. I had the turbo rebuilt last week. It runs much better and the exhaust smoking issues it had are gone.

Took it in for inspection today. When they tried to plug into the OBD2 port, they said their machine "could not communicate" with my car. They said this is a fairly common issue on '96 cars in general. When it happens, they have to perform an ASM test, which is the dyno and tailpipe sniffer used for older cars. It failed HC, CO, and NOx.

High speed test results:

Standard Current
HC (PPM)76 152
CO %.42 .57
NOx(PPM)5661272

Low speed test results:

Standard Current
HC(PPM) 78171
CO .44 .70
NOx 625 2132

The manager at the inspection place said that, with those readings, it would have failed the normal OBD2 test anyway.

So, at home, I hooked up my handy Actron Pocket Scanner. It seemed to communicate with the ECM just fine and listed zero codes.

So Ihave a bunch of questions:
1. Is the OBD2 scanner that theinspectors useall that different from a typical code scanner used for repairs?
2.Could"zero codes" on my scanner indicate a communication problem?
3. Did it fail because I haven't put enough miles on the engine after the turbo overhaul? There were no codes and no check engine light before or after the repair.

tech 02-05-2008 07:08 PM

RE: Emissions failure, need help

1. Not sure which scanners they use. I have never had a problem with a 96 850.
2. NO
3. Maybe if the old one way leaking oil really bad.
I would also check the vent system very well.
Last oil change?

JPN 02-05-2008 09:10 PM

And last full tune-up?

JPN

pollock 02-05-2008 09:35 PM

Last oil change, right before turbo rebuild.
tune up (cap, rotor, plugs, wires) 14 months ago.
Replaced the PCV "box" and all the associated hoses, spring 2007.
Prior to rebuilding the turbo, a lot of smoke would come out of the exhaust when idling a warm engine. I guess it was burning up about a quart between changes.

Since I posted earlier, I played around with my scan tool a bit more. I unplugged the MAF and was able to read the appropriate error code (P0102), and delete it. So it is definitely communicating. I think the inspector just didn't explain this part very clearly, because.........

I also got a little smarter about what my scanner can do. It can read whether each of the monitors is ready. It indicated that the following monitors are not ready: catalyst, evap, O2 sensor, O2 heater, and EGR. In Texas, you are allowed up to two monitors to be not ready. More than that, and they put your car on the dyno.

So, what does that mean? How does a monitor become ready or not ready?

tech 02-05-2008 09:54 PM

It is a long PITA process it could take 50 miles all the way up to 500 miles.
If you had the process on paper doing everything it said to do it would take about 1 to 1.5 hours to get them all ready.

pollock 02-06-2008 08:19 AM

I am about to go on a 1000-mile round trip, so I guess the monitors will get reset then. I will bring my scanner with me and see what happens.

Do you think the fact that 5 monitors weren't ready caused the excessive tailpipe readings?

tech 02-06-2008 07:45 PM

Could be or the fact that there might still be some oil stuck in the cat converter.

Systek 02-06-2008 09:30 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

Could be or the fact that there might still be some oil stuck in the cat converter.
Wouldnt a better question be that the cat converter may be shot? that would explain such high readings of NO2...is there a way to test it? not something I am too familiar with when it comes to ts'ing

tech 02-07-2008 06:39 PM

Not really if it was burning oil for a long time it could burn it all off and be fine.
Not really anyway to test besides removing and cutting open and it is junk by then.

pollock 02-10-2008 10:10 PM

I just returned from my 1000-mile road trip and there was no change in the monitors - the same 5 are still "not ready." What does this mean? Can I somehow force them to become ready?

Can I reset the computer somehow and get it to start over? Will disconnecting the battery for some length of time do this?

I'll take any help I can get. I'm really at a loss.

JPN 02-11-2008 09:09 AM

>Will disconnecting the battery for some length of time do this?
Negative. On '96 & '97, codes would have to be cleared via OBD-II scanner/Volvo tester.

I'm still wondering when the following items have been done:

- Fuel filter
- Air filter
- Throttle body cleaning
- EGR inspection/cleaning
- Vacuum tree/elbow replacement

The owner's manual specifies the intervals for EGR inspection & cleaning. The high output of NOx is probably due to higher-than-normal combustion temp, and if the EGR system is not functioning, it may be adding to the problem. Also, when was the last coolant/thermostat replacement? Does the coolant temp needle stay at about 3 O'clock position?

As a cheap trial, try dumping a large bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner and do this twice. They probably wouldn't do magic, but worth a try.

I'd also like to know what kind of scanner you have. I know Actron has been very helpful for engine & tranny related codes, especially CP9175 or better models.

JPN

pollock 02-11-2008 09:56 AM

I have a scanner and can clear codes.... but there aren't any codes. It is detecting that certain monitors are "incomplete" or "not ready". Apparently that can't be cleared, so I have to find some way to make them work again.

Fuel filter - I have not replaced this, but I will, as part of this effort.
Air filter - not new, but looks new.
Throttle body cleaning - will do.
EGR inspection/cleaning - I have not done this. I will look into it.
Vacuum - I replaced most of the vacuum hoses in spring 2007 when I did the PCV box, etc. Not sure I remember a vacuum tree...

Coolant replaced during a radiator replacement, probably within the last year. It's still bright green.

Thermostat - I have not replaced it. The temp gauge is always at o'clock when the engine is warm; never goes higher.

My scanner is an Actron CP9125. From looking at the Actron website, the 9175 has a more detailed display and a different interface, but they don't list any additional functionality with regard to monitor status. I guess I can run the car up to the parts store and see if they can find anything that I can't.

This weekend I will work on the additional tune-up items you suggested.

Any other ideas?

tech 02-11-2008 05:54 PM

No check engine light or codes right?

I will try to find the list of how to drive it to get it to run the trip.

JPN 02-11-2008 07:46 PM

The air filter can look new while plugged up with microscopic debris. Also, did you lift it and inspect the other side as well?

See attached pic FYR.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/238EF414216E4E939835AB86D2808138.jpg[/IMG]

pollock 02-12-2008 07:02 PM

Right, nocodes, no check engine light. If you can find that procedure I would really appreciate it. Seems like 1000 miles of driving would do it, but you never know.

I took the air filter out when I checked it. I suppose I can go ahead and replace it anyway...

tech 02-12-2008 07:20 PM

OK give me a little while Daughter needs the computer I will try to find it later and post it.

tech 02-12-2008 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go. The newer cars are worse.
Attachment 23925

JPN 02-13-2008 08:24 AM

Just when I thought I was the world's champion for being @n@l....[sm=sick.gif]

JPN

pollock 02-13-2008 03:58 PM

Wow, awesome... Thanks. I'll let you know how it works out.

tech 02-13-2008 06:04 PM

I will be waiting to hear back from you.