Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   Engine Sputters, Stutters, and Stumbles. (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/engine-sputters-stutters-stumbles-57576/)

wellthatsnogood 09-18-2011 06:51 PM

Engine Sputters, Stutters, and Stumbles.

Hello all. I have a 96 850 GLT non-turbo, which until recently was an absolute gem. But lately it has been idling slightly rough when started, and sometimes it sputters and surges and acts like its going to stall. There is a slightly noxious smell in the cabin as well. I'm a poor college kid, so I dont have a way to check any codes. What should I do?

rspi 09-18-2011 09:14 PM

It's called MISSING. Find a way to check your codes, the code will actually tell you which cylinder is missing. If you are starved for money, you can cure only that miss, however, the others are likely to follow.

Maybe an AutoZone, O'Reiley's or some other parts place. Call them, they'll let you know. There is always a way. Wash someone's clothes, kiss an ugly girl, barrow a few dollars from someone, charge someone for a ride, figure out how to get a few dollars to keep your wheels rolling.

When was the last time you had a tune up? Wires, plugs, etc.? You can actually look at the wires and they will have a date stamp on them (week / year).

wellthatsnogood 09-19-2011 06:22 AM

Heh, right now I'm working two jobs just to make ends meet, but I'll be on the lookout for ugly girls.
I changed the plugs roughly three moths ago. I didn't change the wireset at the time.
Sorry my terminology was off, I'll make sure to refer to it as missing in the future.

rspi 09-19-2011 07:43 AM

No big deal on the term, I was just trying to give it to you to help you do a search if you decide to. School & 2 jobs, sounds like you have no time to play.

When my daughter's S70 was missing a few months back it was mainly because her plug gap was off, something like .032 on one plug and .036 on another. Plugs were worn and wire were 13 years old so I replaced wires as well and cured the problem.

wellthatsnogood 09-20-2011 09:09 AM

I took it to the shop around the corner and they said it was a mass air flow sensor. The only problem I have with this is that I pulled off the MAF to see if it was the problem and threw a CEL because of it. I'm wondering if that's why it showed up in the codes.
I checked the wires- turns out they are the original factory wires. Guess I'll be replacing those too :(

Elchopperfreak 09-20-2011 11:24 AM

Try cleaning the MAF with CRC maf cleaner or contact cleaner, try also cleaning the plug
Or there might be a junkyard around? If its cheap enough you might get one to test.
Hows your air filter ?

boxpin 09-20-2011 01:41 PM

Unlikely the MAF. My first thoughts were the hose between the throttle body and MAF...check it for rips.

wellthatsnogood 09-21-2011 08:21 AM

Air Filter was changed about 7 miles ago, haha. Went ahead and changed the MAF, seems to have cleared most of the problem. Now it sounds like a soda can is rattling around in the catalytic converter, guess I need that next :mad:

rspi 09-21-2011 04:06 PM

Anytime you start the car or disconnect the MAF with the car running it will toss codes. If your plug wires WERE original, it's likely that the PCV and other vacuum lines are original as well. You may want to give those a good inspection and replace the hard/cracked/loose ones.