Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   Engine won't turn over,Arrow flashing (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/engine-wont-turn-over-arrow-flashing-95151/)

daleroberta 01-12-2018 11:13 AM

Engine won't turn over,Arrow flashing

Hi
I have a 95 - 850 station wagon. Had a problem with the arrow flashing and ck engine light. Garage reset warning lights and said he'll order a new switch if it happens again.Does feel like it starts in 3rd gear (an automatic).

The next time I started the car it happened again....I had no urgent worries and planned to get the switch ordered (?PNC?).

Today I went to go for errands and it won't even turn over.
Also in the past I've had a H2O leak on the drivers front floor. This seemed to happen off and on and I "ruled out a plugged sunroof drain". This leak happens mostly after heavy winds - rains. So have a wet floor there now. In N.S., Canada.Not sure if this wet floor has anything to do with engine not turning over.

Thanks in advance for any hints offered... Dale

mt6127 01-12-2018 06:44 PM

The garage is referring to your PNP switch - the park neutral position sensor that tells the computer where your shifter is. The PNP switch is tied to the ignition and will not allow a start if it senses you are not in Park or Neutral. What you may want to try is the "shifter row" - with the key in position 2 (to unlock the shifter/steering) quickly move the shifter from Park to Lo to Park 20x times fast. This may clean up the contacts in the sensor to allow it to work properly.

Regarding the water leak - could be the sunroof, the windshield (particularly if its been replaced) or the door seals. I'd start by inspecting the door seals around the top.

daleroberta 01-13-2018 09:03 AM

Thank-yo for that info. Maybe I won't need a tow.
I'll try that when our newest rain/wind storm is over here in N.S, - at least not snow. Ha.

As to the leak ; the worn seals on windows makes sense for a 23 yr. old car and now no garage to baby (house) her.

Are side window seals able to be replaced? Probably a yes as for the windshield seals, but not sure of the smaller window seals.

Dale

mt6127 01-13-2018 02:52 PM

for windshields, usually the leaks are small - not soak a carpet wet. you can use some black RTV to run a small bead around the rubber (glass side) to see if that helps. As for the door seals, they pretty much press on but the adhesive is what lets go. You may not need to buy new seals as much as you need to reglue them back into place. Dealer parts web sites would be the source if you want to get new seals.

daleroberta 01-13-2018 08:41 PM

Do you know a type of glue that would work best for this seal?
D.

mt6127 01-14-2018 10:38 AM

look for something like 3M's Super Weatherstrip adhesive. Should be available at Autozone etc.