Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

A few Q's for a new ’97 Volvo 850 driver, 56,000 miles, thanks a lot in advance:

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few Q's for a new ’97 Volvo 850 driver, 56,000 miles, thanks a lot in advance:

’97 850 driver, 56,000 miles:

1. I bought my car a year ago (51,811 miles) and replaced the CV axle, joint, and boot, battery, front and rear rotors and brakes, and changed the oil. Now the “service” light comes up every time I start the car and I read a post that it’s probably due for it’s 5000 mile service checkup—What does this entail? Oil change? Air filter? What else should I do? Any recommendations for a service center near Miami, Florida?
2. My brakes squeak even though they are 9 months old and ceramic. Also, more worrisome is that every now and then when I press the brakes it feels as though the bottom of the car is going to drop out or that the brake system is going to completely fail. This only started a couple months ago and is very inconsistenthappens about once a week. Any ideas?
3. My brake light goes in and out (along with the brake light sensor on the dash). I replaced the bulb thinking that was the problem but I think it may be an electrical connection somewhere.

Thanks very much for all your help.
-Oren

Old 12-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Default RE: A few Q's for a new ’97 Volvo 850 driver, 56,000 miles, thanks a lot in advance:

Wow that is some low miles!

In regards to the brakes, sounds to me like the fluid level is flow. That is what will trigger the light. DOT 3+4 fluid is what you need. Check the fluid level it should be between the min and max line. There's a chance that it might also be your master cylinder. When you step on the brakes does the pedal stop or does it continue falling toward the floor once pressure is applied?

Old 12-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Default RE: A few Q's for a new ’97 Volvo 850 driver, 56,000 miles, thanks a lot in advance:

Thanks for the response. I checked the brake fluid and it's fine. I should clarify that the indicator light that was coming up was for "Bulb failure warning sensor" and not "Brake". I changed one of the rear light bulbs and that one's working but another one goes in and out. Right now it's ok.

When I pressed the brakes there was a second of resistance and then it felt like it gave waythis only happens about once a week and when it does it seems as though the whole brake system is going to fail.

Also, another thing I forgot to mention in the first post was a fuse issue. When there's a 25A fuse in the #6 slot "Central Locking System" the keyless entry doesn't work, the car won't start, and the hazard lights start blinking. So I just removed that fuse and have been unlocking the door manually. Any suggestions?

When I turned the key 1/2 way to check which sensors were working a number of them didn't light up: Rear fog light, high beams, SRS, ABS-system, Traction Control System. What does this mean? I don't believe I have rear fog lights or the optional traction control system (though I'm not sure) but my high beams do work.

Thanks a lot.