Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   First time Volvo owner!(used) need some advice (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/first-time-volvo-owner-used-need-some-advice-10989/)

Volgrrr 05-08-2007 10:51 AM

RE: First time Volvo owner!(used) need some advice

Don't screw the poor guy too much.

At least the guywas honest enough to leave a note on your vehicle notifying you who caused the damage.

Many other people would simply sneak off- and leave you to pay for the lot.

And why should you insist on getting a new one when the originalone is over 10 years old?

Please give the guysome credit for his honesty and cut him a bit of slack - don't grind him into the ground simply because youhave the whip hand and can threaten to take him to the cleaners.

JimKW 05-08-2007 04:52 PM

I was not saying to take the guy to the cleaners either, and you are right about him doing the right thing and something that quite a few would not do. I still think it's a good idea though to take the car to the body shop and get a legitimate estimate of the cost of the repair.

If I was going to look for a used bumber I would try and find one the same color as the car because painting it will probably be the biggest expense. You could even tell the body shop that you are willing to have them use used material as long as it looks as good as it did before it was hit.

Diana.RO 05-08-2007 08:36 PM

ok, I asked two repair shops.. and they both gave me estimates of $600 USD. I called the Volvo dealership they said it's $455 for the back bumper, and the shops both said it was 2 hours of labor($75 an hour). Also the volvo dealership paints the bumper themselves, so I'm going to just order the bumper and install it myself. And have him pay the $455 for the new bumper.

RedTurbo850 05-08-2007 09:13 PM

^Sounds good.

Installing a bumper is very very straight forward in my experience. If you're a complete novice, it'd take you 2 hours max.

JimKW 05-09-2007 09:14 AM

So you're sure it's $455 painted the color of your car? Or is it $455 and painting is an additional charge? I would just double check if you haven't already.

Diana.RO 05-09-2007 01:13 PM

ok, I contacted 4 volvo dealerships inquiring about a back bumper for my 1996 850T Volvo Wagon. They all gave me a price, and said it would come pre-painted. The prices are as follows:

Volvoville USA
Massapequa, NY
$455 USD

Karp Volvo
Rockville Centre, NY
$478

Hassel Volvo Huntington
Huntington, NY
$460

Hassel Volvo Glen Cove
Glen Cove, NY
$475

So we'll go to the one in Massapequa. heh And I'll install it myself, it looks very easy, just a few screws and clips.

RedTurbo850 05-09-2007 06:07 PM

^Seems slightly high, but tthen again, it's the dealer...