Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Foam/bubbles on dipstick and in oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foam/bubbles on dipstick and in oil

I checked the PCV system about a month ago, I was getting white goo on the bottom of the dip stick over the winter. It was completely clear. Also replaced the dipstick o-ring on top and bottom as well as the o-ring on the top of the oil filler cap.

As it got warmer out the goo is now gone but I'm getting a little bit of foam/froth on the dipstick itself. The oil isn't over filled. Just did an oil change and when I emptied the bucket into my old oil container I could see bubbles on the top of the oil.

Drove today about 10 minutes to get gas and the foam is there. There's also a little bit of bubbles on the top of the filler cap.

The oil that came out wasn't milky at all, it was black, but did have bubbles on top. Also no oil in the coolant. The coolant is green and hasn't been changed in 3000+ miles.

I typically drive 25 minutes 90% of it highway each way to work. So I don't think that short trips are the problem.

I'm in between deciding if I want to put some $$ into the car but I want to hold off until I get this sorted out.

Thoughts?

Old 05-08-2009, 08:24 AM

Just clean the dip stick tube with some carb cleaner when you do the next oil change and that should take care of the problem. the tube seems to retain the stuff for long time even after the oil is replaced. Just keep and eye on the oil every once and week and you should be good to go Also the time for summer is also gonna take car of it if its only condensation from cold temperatures.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

If the foam is not bad, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Ours has it from time to time. I put an aftermarket (VDO) oil pressure gauge on ours just to monitor it. When was the last time you did a flush when you changed the oil?

Old 05-08-2009, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Psaboic
If the foam is not bad, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Ours has it from time to time. I put an aftermarket (VDO) oil pressure gauge on ours just to monitor it. When was the last time you did a flush when you changed the oil?
How do you flush it? I haven't ever used seafoam or anything in the crankcase at all. Foam doesn't seem bad and after it sits it's gone. And no milkyness so I don't really think it's coolant, it has to be moisture. I'm going to drive with the dipstick out for a couple hundred miles and see if that gets rid of the moisture. Thoughts?

I cleaned the dipstick tube real good after cleaning the PCV system so I don't think there was anything in it.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Sometimes the foam and white stuff will build up if the car is used on alot of short trips.

Clean the dipstick and take it on a long drive and check afterwords.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by tech
Sometimes the foam and white stuff will build up if the car is used on alot of short trips.

Clean the dipstick and take it on a long drive and check afterwords.
OK I'll try that. Although when I took the PCV out to check its condition a few weeks ago I really cleaned that dipstick, and sure enough the bubbles are still there.

Today I drove to work (20 miles almost all highway) with the dipstick slightly pulled out and noticed a little bit of oil had come out. Would that indicate something is clogged ie positive pressure in the crankcase?

Old 05-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you inspect all pcv hoses? theres no way to tell if oil seperator is truly clean and unclogged by looking at it.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Well there is a little pressure there.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:04 AM

Little pressure there intermittently to blow some oil out is pretty normal i guess. Anyone will get some oil out of the dipstick tube if they drive with the stick pulled out. Its all good as long as there is no blow from it during idling with engine at running temperatures.