Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

gas fumes in cabin

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: gas fumes in cabin

great lol. I better not tell my wife im about to spend a few hundred more dollars. She hates the car as it is.

Thanks for all the replies. I will take the car to a friend of mine and i will get under and try to see if indeed the exhaust is leaking. It is loud and does rumble as if there is a performance exhaust on it.

Any cheap source of getting this downpipe? Even ebay has it for $900!! [:@]

Old 02-27-2007, 10:48 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

>I better not tell my wife im about to spend a few hundred more dollars. She hates the car as it is.
Money<Safety & Life. If she ever gets hit by another car, she'll be happy to know that she was encased in a Volvo

>Any cheapsource of getting this downpipe?
1. Junk yard
2. Dealer (you never know what they have in the pile of trash)
3. Large parking lot at a mall[8D]

JPN

Old 02-27-2007, 10:55 PM

I can probably get one at the salvage yard my friend owns. However he doesnt have any turbo model 850s. He does have non turbo 850s and a S70. Would that work? I can barely get any info on these downpipes. All the info i get is people complaining how they are so darn expensive!

Old 02-27-2007, 11:03 PM
JPN

It may or may not be the same for turbo/NA models, Haynes doesn't give me any info on exhaust system procedure.

I just noticed that the font & smileys are screwed up. It's time for Administrator Patrick (SMILEY) to show up.

JPN

Old 02-28-2007, 12:13 AM

Huzz, if you find it brand new online, try to find out the part #...

Then you can compare w/ the n/a cars...The #1 is to figure out what is actually leaking...I think shops can run smoke through and find out where the leak is...Dont' spend 900 bucks and get the wrong part...

Old 02-28-2007, 12:58 AM

Thats true RedTurbo

I will take it to the muffler shop tomorrow and have them figure out where the leak is. I will take it from there. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:32 AM

ORIGINAL: tech

The hose is rubber.
Some can be reached easy depends on how the factory sets the clamp.

Remove the covers to see the sending unit and tank pressure sensor. Look for a hose and see if it is cracked.

I willbet if you look under the car on the right side you will see a gas stain coming from the top and running down.
Tech, my car (1996 volvo sedan) is having the same problem like what you said under the car on the right side a gas stain coming from the top and running down. What can I do to fix it. Thanks!

Maroon96

Old 02-28-2007, 03:12 PM

Okay guys, here is an update..........

I took the car to a muffler shop and the told me i don't have an exhaust leak. I then took it to my friend who is a mechanic. I took him for a drive, and as usual, the problem never shows up when a mechanic is in the car.

However, we checked under the hood and found no leaks or anywhere in the fuel lines. We checked in the trunk if the smell was coming from the fuel pump. There was a faint smell from there but no leaks. We took the cover off and put some extra foam gasket thing to cover the smell. My friend suspects the gas smell is coming from somewhere near the gas tank under the car. thereare signs of gas leaking from the top of the tank down the side. Hopefully the recall has something to do with this.

I still don't understand how gas smell from the rear of the car will come through the vents. Is this possible? And the smell usually comes when im sitting in traffic or at a stop light.

Will the evaporater canister under the battery cause this gas like smell to come into the cabin? Thats the only other thing i havent checked out.

Thanks

Old 02-28-2007, 06:39 PM

Get the gas thing fixed. I know I had a gas tank problem where I had a puddle of gas when I filled max sometimes. I had a faint gas smell then...

Recently however, it seems as though the gas tank righted itself because it's filling up perfect...

Old 02-28-2007, 08:09 PM

Sure will Red. I have to take it in for the recall friday and i will see what they can see or do while doing the recall. According to the recall, they check for any leakage or seeping from the tank. If found, they will replace it under the recall. lol, i hope they replace it and i hope that solves the problem.

the gas smell is limited to when i am not moving. When the car gets moving, the smell does not come back. No wonder i did not notice it on my last trip from St Louis. However, city driving was where we realized there was a problem somewhere.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The evap. valve is located under the hood mounted to the cooling fan schroud.

But if the exhaust is leaking at the flex pipe alot of times it cannot be fixed.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:43 PM
JPN

Hi Huzz,

I think that Tech's suggestion about the tank was the bull's eye. If you don't smell it when moving forward (sounds like someone's slogan, doesn't it?), then it is likely that the leak is behind cabin.

I hope they were right about no-leak in the exhaust. I'm wondering if there is a tracer dye you can put in the fuel tank, without harming anything.

Will wait for your update.

JPN

Old 03-05-2007, 12:39 AM

Update!

So i took the car to the dealer and they did the recall. They did not find any leak on or around the tank. The smell is still there and it may possibly just be coming from the filler neck area.

I also noticed that the smell is more noticeable when it is warmer outside. Anyways, its not as bothersome anymore as it was so i will wait until i can take the whole tank down and inspect it properly.

While i was at the dealers, i got the alignment done as well. I still have a weird knocking sound from the front which i believe is the stabilizer bar links. The strut mounts and spring seats are good so im pretty sure itsthe links.I will do that this week. i also drilled a few holes and re attached the tail gate panel to get rid of most of the rattle sound.
I will be heading to Canada in less than 2 weeks (3000 mile drive) Is there anything i should check out?
I will be changing the oil to semi synthetic 10w30 oil as well as another drain and fill of the tranny. The thermostat i just replaced 3 weeks ago as well as new coolant. The timing belt has about 45-50k miles on it so that should be okay till i get back. Brand new tires all around. Anything im missing?

Thanks.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:13 AM

^Oil, Fuel Filter and Air Filter (if applicable).

Otherwise, you sound good to go.

Oh wait, you forgot something. DVD player and TVs for the ride. And chips.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the additions Red. Yeah a dvd player would be good or i can just take my laptop and hook it to the cigarette lighter.

Is the fuel filter located towards the rear passenger side of the car? I have replaced the air filter 3 weeks ago but that too will be trashed once i get a K&N filter.

Thanks
Ali

Old 03-05-2007, 01:28 PM
JPN

Hi Huzz/Ali,

>And chips.
Indeed, without them you'll be stranded.

The front-end noise is probably the links, as you've noted. Some people installed beefed-up rods, but I used Hamburg Technik's (German) OEM-like rods, since the car was not actually mine (If it were mine, I too would have installed the beefy version).

I'm still a bit concerned with the fuel fume. Next time when you take it in for a service, I would ask the technician to see if he/she'd allowyou to inspect the entire fuel line while the car is up on the lift. Or, the mixture might be getting rich. You may not see a drip, if the leak is small and allowing it to evaporate before anyone can catch it.

Before the 3,000-mile trip, I would double check the fluid levels on all fluids and have the following items in the trunk:

1. 1-2 quarts of engine oil.
2. Ready-to-use coolant (I would buy non-diluted version and make 2 gallons, and make my own 50/50 mix).
3. 1 quart of tranny fluid (Dexron-III/Mercon).
4. Small bottle of DOT-4 brake fluid (once the seal is broken, throw away the left over, unless you use it immediately. Once exposed to the air, brake fluid absorbsmoisture and becomes useless if left for a while).
5. May be a small, affordable fire extinguisher just in case (the one that works on flammable liquid)?

Yes the fuel filter is on the pax-side, close from the rear wheel. I would use Bosch filter.

Have a safe trip,

JPN

Old 03-05-2007, 03:22 PM

Thanks for the advice JPN.

Like menetioned above, the fumes are stronger when its warmer out. Also im pretty sure it is coming when the fuel pump is running (ie when the key is turned on or the car running) when the car is shut off, the smell im guessing slowly start to dissipate.Possibly one of the hoses that go towards the top of the gas tank ( i think there is 2). Im pretty sure the tank has to come down for it as Tech mentioned.

When I get back from the trip, i have some major work scheduled for the car like timing belt and brakes all around. Soon my friend will have his own shop with lifts. I will then take it to him and possibly even lower the tank and inspect everything and get rid of the fumes once and for all.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:56 PM

One quick question, when I look under the car at the gas tank, i see 2 black hoses going above the gas tank. Are these theDELIVERY andRETURN lines from the fuel pump? And are these only accessible by taking the tank down? Or Can i gain access from inside the car.

Tech i saw that you mentioned to someone about a vent hose that could cause leakage by the gas tank. Which hose are you talking about?

Thanks
Ali

Old 03-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

If you access the fuel pump and tank pressure sensor from inside the car to inspect.
You can see a bigger hose. Thats the one that usually cracks.
You can see it from the holes.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:17 PM

I have now come to the conclusion that it is one of three things.

(1) the vent hose.
(2) the fuel pump Gasket (seal).
(3) The collar nut may be loose.

For now i wont fill it past 14 gallons and will limit the city driving. When i get back from the trip, i will just lower the tank and replace whatever needs replacing.

Quick Reply: gas fumes in cabin