Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   Heated Seats... (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/heated-seats-39881/)

rspi 03-14-2010 11:00 PM

Heated Seats...

Do you think the heat pads from a S90 will work in my 850?

matt01 03-15-2010 12:08 AM

if not you can do what i did, cut off the connector and solder on the proper connector from your old pad.

its not that i had the wrong pad, but i installed the top pad onto a bottom seat part..

should work.

rspi 03-15-2010 03:52 AM

How hard is it getting those pads ouf of the seats?

boxpin 03-15-2010 08:26 AM

Have you thought of just fixing it? I have repaired two of my volvos seat heaters. typically it is just a broken line within the coils. Its a bit of work removing all the little metal clips but the skin roles back far enough for you to work on it. Usually what happens is someone puts a knee or kids stand on the seat and break the coils under where a rod crosses over the thermal cloth.
Both times I have done this it has been very obvious where the break is since it heats up and burns in that spot.

matt01 03-15-2010 08:47 PM

^ are you saying that all you have to do is cut open the heated seat, and solder the wire back together? cause if thats true im going to be pissed cause it makes too much sense and i didnt do it...

its a real pain in the ass to get those clips off. if i were to do it again, i would get a good pair of metal clippers and just clip them all off.... literally every single one of them can be replaced with tie-wraps., i did it trust me it will make your life EASY. and it works like a charm.. you would never even know there were no metal clips.

boxpin 03-15-2010 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by matt01 (Post 210078)
^ are you saying that all you have to do is cut open the heated seat, and solder the wire back together? cause if thats true im going to be pissed cause it makes too much sense and i didnt do it...

Start being pissed. I did not solder it though, I used a barrel connector..a barrel crimp then tucked it back into the heat wrap and then warm my booty.

its a real pain in the ass to get those clips off. if i were to do it again, i would get a good pair of metal clippers and just clip them all off.... literally every single one of them can be replaced with tie-wraps., i did it trust me it will make your life EASY. and it works like a charm.. you would never even know there were no metal clips.

They are a pain thats for sure. Hmmm, that might just work.

rspi 03-15-2010 10:34 PM

When I repaired the recliners I used the zip ties.

MonsterBait 02-21-2011 06:04 PM

You can get hog ring pliers and hogrings to put the seats back together. I tried replacing the metal frame on a sienna at work. When I was finished it looked like I stuffed it with old t shirts so we just sent it out to an upholstery shop. My seat heaters are inop right now and I would rather not mess with it

gilber33 02-21-2011 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by matt01 (Post 210078)

Ugh, please don't do that. Just clip the rings, go to any upholstery shop, get new hog-rings, and just put new ones on. Do it right. zip ties are plastic and will stretch over time.

rspi 02-21-2011 08:50 PM

I have not fulled with mine yet but do you think the problem is in the seat cousion and not the back rest?

matt01 02-21-2011 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by gilber33 (Post 257763)
Ugh, please don't do that. Just clip the rings, go to any upholstery shop, get new hog-rings, and just put new ones on. Do it right. zip ties are plastic and will stretch over time.

i disagree. you can look at it 2 ways.
there are so many zip ties holding on the skin, that it would seriously take some abuse to get those things to strech.. have you ever had one and tried to pull it off with a vice-grip? dont buy dollar store ones and you should be fine. i mean thats what there made to do... hold stuff together..
2. im pretty sure that a single hog tie will pull apart faster than a tie-wrap due to the fact that its just a piece of metal bent into a ring..

gilber33 02-22-2011 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by matt01 (Post 257783)
i disagree. you can look at it 2 ways.
there are so many zip ties holding on the skin, that it would seriously take some abuse to get those things to strech.. have you ever had one and tried to pull it off with a vice-grip? dont buy dollar store ones and you should be fine. i mean thats what there made to do... hold stuff together..
2. im pretty sure that a single hog tie will pull apart faster than a tie-wrap due to the fact that its just a piece of metal bent into a ring..

I'm not talking about pulling it in half, I'm talking about constant stretching on the ziptie I think will cause it to stretch over time.

And obviously you have never used hog rings before. I've taken off and put on skins from two interiors, those hog rings are not going anywhere, definitely not before zip ties at least.

When the right materials are available to do it the right way, why wouldn't you? Especially when you'll spend less on hog rings than you will zip ties. Have you ever seen an 850 interior where the hog rings have separated and the seams are lifting from the support brackets? I sure as hell haven't nor heard of that ever happening.

matt01 02-22-2011 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by gilber33 (Post 257830)
I'm not talking about pulling it in half, I'm talking about constant stretching on the ziptie I think will cause it to stretch over time.

And obviously you have never used hog rings before. I've taken off and put on skins from two interiors, those hog rings are not going anywhere, definitely not before zip ties at least.

When the right materials are available to do it the right way, why wouldn't you? Especially when you'll spend less on hog rings than you will zip ties. Have you ever seen an 850 interior where the hog rings have separated and the seams are lifting from the support brackets? I sure as hell haven't nor heard of that ever happening.

have you ever seen seats done with zip ties start loosening up? after a year mines been great! it also makes it easier for the second time if ever you have to do it again.. which i do because mine stopped working again.

ive also heard of many others doing it this way with out a problem.

gilber33 02-22-2011 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by matt01 (Post 257858)
have you ever seen seats done with zip ties start loosening up? after a year mines been great! it also makes it easier for the second time if ever you have to do it again.. which i do because mine stopped working again.

ive also heard of many others doing it this way with out a problem.

That's after a year. I'm talking 17 years, I'm guessing plastic zipties won't be holding up like hog rings will.

matt01 02-22-2011 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by gilber33 (Post 257864)
That's after a year. I'm talking 17 years, I'm guessing plastic zipties won't be holding up like hog rings will.

are these cars even going to last 17 more years! most of them already have high milage, im pretty sure the seat leather would disintegrate in that time so you'll have to change it anyway..

but yes, the best way to do it is hog rings i guess, but you could do the job twice with zip ties in the time it'll take you to remove and put back those hogrings..

gilber33 02-22-2011 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by matt01 (Post 257866)
are these cars even going to last 17 more years! most of them already have high milage, im pretty sure the seat leather would disintegrate in that time so you'll have to change it anyway..

but yes, the best way to do it is hog rings i guess, but you could do the job twice with zip ties in the time it'll take you to remove and put back those hogrings..

right, it's a horse a piece. All personal preference.

And why wouldn't these cars last 17 more years? And why would leather disintegrate? Pretty sure my Dad has leather boots or jackets that are over 17 years old and are in perfect shape.

My seats I have in the car now are don't look 13 years old, I don't see any reason why they won't last forever.

Attachment 19996

All personal preference, not trying to get into a pissing match or anything. :)

matt01 02-22-2011 03:28 PM

my car has 260 000 kilometers, if i keep daily driving it for 17 more years i might have to change a couple engines and trannys by that time..

my seats are all cracked, not looking to good. they wouldnt last.

plus we have salty winters here..

MonsterBait 02-22-2011 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by gilber33 (Post 257878)
right, it's a horse a piece. All personal preference.

And why wouldn't these cars last 17 more years? And why would leather disintegrate? Pretty sure my Dad has leather boots or jackets that are over 17 years old and are in perfect shape.

My seats I have in the car now are don't look 13 years old, I don't see any reason why they won't last forever.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/v...n/DSCF2251.jpg

All personal preference, not trying to get into a pissing match or anything. :)

Nice seats, are those factory? My seats in my 97 850 are all cracked and ripped well the front two, thinking about getting the reupholstered.But that might cost a pretty penny

gilber33 02-22-2011 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They're from a 98 S70 T-5 SE, leather/suede. Way more comfortable than the 850 seats, and the suede inserts are amazing when it comes to holding you into the seat.

Attachment 19993

matt01 02-22-2011 05:53 PM

never thought about that! good point, it holds your ass from sliding around! im definatly going to get some of those now!

you can buy brand new seat skins here: http://elwoodindustries.com/id65.html

but there pricey! but high quality work.. as good or better than original.

reminds me of when i put leather conditioner, becomes like ice!