Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   Heater core -DIY or not? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/heater-core-diy-not-13754/)

m1964 09-12-2007 10:01 PM

Heater core -DIY or not?

I can change brakes, do tune-up, thermostat, etc..would not try TB replacement.
is heater core a dyi job?
can anyone give detailed instructions on heater core replacement?

Is there any chance that the heater core is good, and I would need to replace the o-rings only?

Thanks to everyone.

JimKW 09-13-2007 07:21 AM

RE: Heater core -DIY or not?

Here is some information I found on volvospeed.com. Don't know how helpful it will be.

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...howtopic=35445

JPN 09-13-2007 09:27 AM

Try draining the coolant and disconnecting the heater hoses. Either way you're gonna have to disconnect them.

I highly recommend you get a Haynes manual. The manual is sufficient for beginners & mid-level home mechanics.

JPN

m1964 09-14-2007 09:15 PM

Thanks a lot, JPN-I got the parts already , will try this sunday, will report here any difficulties, time needed, etc.

JPN 09-15-2007 10:46 AM

My pleasure, I hope it goes well.

Be sure to take time, do not rush to finish the job. Lately, there are a lot of screw-ups at where I work, due to people being pushed/intimidatedby the m@n@gement. Stressing people to hurry up is a sure way for a disaster.

JPN

m1964 09-16-2007 07:56 PM

ORIGINAL: JPN...Be sure to take time, do not rush to finish the job. ...JPN
All done -my mechanic quoted 3.5 -4 hours ( as per his computer program), and $250.00 labor only.

It took about 2 hours to remove all the plastic panels and to change the heater core, Old coolant was bad, so had to flash system twice, and spent about 1.5 hours cleaning the carpets -pass. side was soaked in antifreeze.
All together from 11am to 3 pm.

So now the 850 is drying up with windows open slightly, and carpets elevated, will put everything back tomorrow.

axelm 09-16-2007 08:21 PM

Congrats, now you have $250 you can spend on some mods and you have gained some knowledge!

tech 09-16-2007 08:53 PM

Congrats[sm=exactly.gif]

m1964 09-16-2007 09:30 PM

ORIGINAL: axelm

Congrats, now you have $250 you can spend on some mods and you have gained some knowledge!
Thanks for your support, guys- the $250 saved is my fathers money -he drives the car now, but it does not matter-I like to do these type ofjobs where you don't need a lift or any special equipment.

Next question:
Tech, do you think I am ready to attempt evaporator replacement?

tech 09-16-2007 09:40 PM

If you go buy my walk though post about doing it you should be able to do it.
If you have any problems or quiestions we will always be here to help.

JPN 09-17-2007 02:39 AM

If you plan to do the evaporator by yourself, be sure to follow safety precautions, and know that it may take longer to do the job. If you work 5 days/week or more often, be sure to know that the car may have to be parked for a few days.

As always, make sure to read the safety & service instructions before taking things apart, and do not rush.

JPN

m1964 09-18-2007 10:51 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

If you have any problems or quiestions we will always be here to help.
many thank for your help and support!

m1964 09-18-2007 10:55 PM

I gave the car to my father, he is used to driving w/o A/C, and it's getting cooler/colder every day now. If the car lasts till next summer, I'll considernew evapthen.

JimKW 09-19-2007 08:08 AM

My son in law did his, but he is a mechanic. He used Tech's instructions and had no problem at all doing the evaporator. Now I know who is doing mine the next time.