Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Green Stuff brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:06 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Green Stuff brake pads

Has anyone tried these on the 850?

I know I always say to use OEM.
But someone gave me these pads for FREE and they are brand new.

I was thinking about giving them a try.
I have to put on a new set of rotors and pads and I figured those for Free was better than spending another $60.00 on new pads.

Leave your opinions.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Green Stuff brake pads

Hey now Tech,

Free is good [sm=smiley20.gif]and if it turns out that you don't like the feel, then you may have to spend the sixty bones later, butthis would give you time for a fair evaluation.

When I had the Acura Vigor GS I had a go with some quality (Satisfied)semi-metallic pads and OEM rotors and found that I got a horrible shimmy when on the highway and found that very un-nerving [sm=insomnia.gif]. After a bit, it began to happen when around town and I had to replace the padswith the Honda Performance pads and have the rotors turned.[]

When the next full all around brake job is required I'm thinking of going to go to an upgrade kit and I'm looking around now as next spring, no matter what it costs, I'm going to perform all the little performance things that can be done in the back yard. Sway bars, engine mounts and maaaabye a lowering spring or two .

As I said, it's cool [sm=smiley16.gif]that you got pads for free and, if I'm not mistaken, the green pads are supposed to be 'low dusting' which is a good thing as no one likes crap on their "Boots and Laces".

Give them a try and post your findings on pedal feel, stopping power and the like.[sm=smiley4.gif]

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 05-25-2008, 05:49 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Tech, 

I can only comment general opinions, as I have never used Green Stuff pads. Whenever I try something new, I usually try to locate the place of manufacture (in which country they are made at), and visually check the quality.

BTW, the pads themselves aren't green, are they?

EDIT: http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/fra...stuff-pads.htm
It seems like they're made in the U.K. Should be of top quality.

JPN

Old 05-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Administrator

I installed today and so far so good I will reply again after putting some more miles on the car.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i remember when i first put the green stuff pads on my 97 neon and it was a huge difference from the pads that was on them prior. i like them, but i'm gonna use the red stuff pads since i upgraded to the SRT-4 calipers, rotors, and factory pads.

i think you'll like them, but their not that sticky.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:47 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Green Stuff brake pads UPDATED

Here is an update on the pads.

The first 30 miles they felt fine and were quiet.

Then everytime I touched the brakes they squeeled like a Garbage truck or a Cop car.

So in other words THEY SUCK so today I took them back off and put on the old set I took off that were only half used.

The only reason I installed the new pads was because the new rotors and thinking new pads would be good as well. But I will stick with the olds pads for now.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:59 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Green Stuff brake pads UPDATED

I'm sorry to hear that, but sometimes the only way to find out whether a product is good or not is to try it out by yourself; been there & done that many times myself.

After all, we'd better stick to OEM brake components. My front OEM German Textars were as good as Genuine Volvo pads. I only wonder why Volvo used different OEMs for the fronts & the rears, because I could not find Textar rear pads.

JPN