Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Ignition Switch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition Switch Replacement

Hey now [sm=smiley1.gif]and [sm=welcomesign.gif],

The Brick will hopefully be back on the road tomorrow [sm=wootwoot.gif]and I'm so looking forward to not walking in the, on average, foot of snow that seems to be hanging around. The new starter, from Volvo-$687CDN [sm=smiley21.gif]and from EBay $130CDN delivered to my door [sm=smiley20.gif]. Remanufactured, of course, but the same in every way and after an engine replacement [sm=icon_flaming.gif]the savings is appreciated.

Anyways, I have been having an issue with the abs/tracs system with my '94 850 since before the engine trouble and had found that it was, in the beginning, a bad abs sensor ring. I guess, through age, the ring had been, at first, missing a small peice and then, because I was not able to find just the ring, had the left side drive shaft replaced and that was when it just fell off

Thanks to Lee, [sm=signs007.gif], I have been readingabout it at Bay 13 and have found out that it might [sm=smiley5.gif]be a faulty ignition switch and was wondering were I might find some info on removal and replacement?

Is this a fairly easy, for the dyi'er, process or is it best left to a shop? What's the average time andwhat tools required for this job? Can you really screw up the car?

I have had a number of issues with the car but I am now near the end of replacing all of the things that have gone wrong [sm=proof.gif]and will have a bill to show for all of the work soon. Once I receive the hardcopy of it I'll post everything that was completed from front to back.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing form everyone.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]and [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ignition Switch Replacement

The electrical portion of the ignition is about as simple as it comes, there are four torx head screws that hold the plastic clamshell around the steering column, the front two are acouple ofsizes smaller that the trusty T-25, I can't remember the size. Remove those screws and the clamshell comes off of the column.There are two Torx bolts that hold the switch on. Unplug the electrical connector, plug it into the new on switch and re-assemble. You should be able to get the whole thing done in 15 or 20 minutes.

...Lee