Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   Just pulled in with my new (to me) 1997 850 T-5 Wagon, got a few questions (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/just-pulled-my-new-me-1997-850-t-5-wagon-got-few-questions-5378/)

yellow95 04-16-2006 09:24 PM

Just pulled in with my new (to me) 1997 850 T-5 Wagon, got a few questions

Well, I finally found one that I wanted. 1997 T-5 wagon. Emerald green with 75000 indicated miles. Great condition. A few door dings, and the driver seat will need a little conditioning, but all and all, I am happy. I do need some help on a few things.

1) I pulled coeds, and it had misfire on cylinder three. Think it might need new plugs and wires?

2) Radio doesnt work. If you hit the power button, it will read OFF on the screen. If you hit it again, you get nothing. The guy that I bought it from said it worked fine, until he swapped the battery. Might there be a security code I need to put in like some of the GM's?

3) Topside motor mount is dry rotted and gone. Where can I get another besides the stealership?

4) Where can I find plug wires and a distributor cap?

Other than that I am pumped as hell to join the volvo crowd. I will look for a lot of help in the near future, and in the distant future, I hope I can help others.

Gary

PS- The yellow95 is my mustang. See it HERE

axelm 04-16-2006 09:31 PM

RE: Just pulled in with my new (to me) 1997 850 T-5 Wagon, got a few questions

I just bought NGK Iridium IX plugs, distributor cap and rotor at www.rockauto.com for a great price.

Magnecor cables were way too expensive (190 USD), so I might get standard cables. I'm still thinking about it.

When I bought my 96 854 T5 sedan the radio was asking for a code. The stealership gave me the code for free.

Congrats on your purchase.

info2x 04-16-2006 09:55 PM

1) Try resetting the codes and see if it comes back. If it doesn't come back then chances are the problem is already fixed.

2) The radio will say Code if it wants the code, but going to the dealer and asking for it isn't a bad idea.

3) IPD makes their own upper motor mount, or you can buy and OEM one from FCPGroton

4) See above

JimKW 04-16-2006 10:02 PM

Congratulations. I alway buy the turbo plugs from Volvo. If you join Volvo Club of America most dealers will give you a discount. I get 15% off at the dealer I go to when I show my VCOA membership card. With that discount it's just about as cheap as getting it on the internet. I also bought OEM plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. I head many say they like Bosch, but to stay away from NGK. That's just what I have read. Like I said I alway use OEM and don't fine the price all that bad. If you don't get a decent price at the local dealer try volvoparts.com. It's a Volvo dealer out of Washington state that give good internet prices.

I had an aftermarket top motor mount on my car and it caused rough idling. I had it changed to and OEM and the idling got much smoother. I think you need a press to install it though. I had a Volvo repair shop do mine. I read a thread just recently about leaving the ignition on for two hours or more to reset the radio. Do a search and see if you can find that thread.

tech 04-17-2006 12:13 AM

The wires have the Date stamped on them in either white or Yellow lettering. See if they are original or not.
Bosch makes the Dist. Cap and rotor for Volvo. Tomorrow I will try to remember to get the Name of the Company that makes the wires we get. The wires have Volvo stamped on them.

If the Radio says off then you need to leave the key in the 1st position with only the Radio on till it switches from Off to Code. Get the code from the Closest dealer to you. They can sometimes pull it up by the Vin# other times they will need the Radio serial#. They might also ask to see a copy of the Reg for the car.

Alot of company's make the urethane mounts. In the General section I made a post with links to site you should be able to find a mount on one of the sites there.

94850tx 04-18-2006 01:11 PM

Don't want to scare you but you might want to check the compression, the guy I bought mine from thought it just needed a tune up. I pulled codes, cyl #3 missfire. Ran compression test, none on cyl #3 has a burned valve. Takes a few minutes to check, worth the time. A compression tester can be had at sears for about 20-60 dollars depending upon how nice of one you get.
Is it just a missfire code or does it say cyl 3 missfire possible cat. damage?

Nick

yellow95 04-18-2006 03:59 PM

I will check it tonight, but I cleared that code two days ago, and it hasnt come back. I will do a compression check this weekend though. Thanks for the tip. The only code I get now is TOO RICH BANK ONE.

Gary