Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   Manual Boost controlling a 850 Turbo wagon (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/manual-boost-controlling-850-turbo-wagon-38930/)

boxpin 02-13-2010 10:38 PM

I agree, get a named brand MBC. There are a ton of MBC's on ebay. You'll want to spend a little money on them, don't cheap out. Mines a Hallman and I only bought a named brand because I was afraid. Its been extremely reliable. Very precise.

v4lve 02-14-2010 03:11 AM

Electronic gauges are NOT the best you can get, if anything the lag behind mechanical gauges. More or less a matter of preference, a good mechanical gauge or a good electric gauge will be ample for such low boost levels. The main thing you will be looking out for it fuel cut @ just under 1 bar pressure.

What you pay for in a MBC is basically what you get in return. The fit and finish of the Hallman Pro has been consistently better however of MBC's in a similar price range.
What it comes down to really is just shy away from the ebay special :P

91shelby 02-14-2010 04:09 PM

is the fuel cutout 15psi on these?

tech 02-14-2010 04:52 PM

15.5 to be exact.

850T5M 02-17-2010 12:27 AM

I ordered my Hallman Pro MBC and a glowshift gauge, should be getting them soon. Im planning on setting my boost to around 13 PSI. I read somewhere that at low rpms (below 3000) anything over 10psi is dangerous for the rods. I also read that our cars run at about 5psi in first gear and can be pushed to 15psi in first by using the MBC.
Im a noob with turbo's and how MBC controls the boost. Does it simply use the same amount of boost in every gear instead of a set amount in each gear? At what RPM should i be setting my boost to 13PSI?

Sorry im really confused :S I dont feel like bending a piston rod or anything.

boxpin 02-17-2010 08:13 AM

I am running at 15 on an automatic trans. No bent rods. The manual boost controller will stop the boost from building when it hits the level set. When the turbo spools you will have boost. The more you lay into the throttle the more boost you'll get. Yes, the boost dances around 15 on mine when I am into it and when I am just pushing it, it climbs until it reaches the balance of throttle to exhaust. Meaning its not always at 15psi, sometimes its at 5 when I accelerate, sometimes 7, etc. Its not zero then 15, your foot controls it. If your worried, set it to the stop boost of 9.6psi and drive it for awhile until you feel comfortable.

BeastFromTheEast 02-17-2010 09:47 AM

Kinda a little off topic on MBC but I was talking to my friend who is big into turbo cars and what not. He told me to just get a Greddy Profec B, because with a MBC depending on the weather boost levels will be all over the place and not very consistant. But my question is do you guys see a change in boost levels with different weather? Also will a profec B work on a 850 turbo?

boxpin 02-17-2010 10:30 AM

I think you need to try Yoga. Calm thy senses. Its not that big of a deal. The Greddy will work and the MBC will work. Are you planning on Drag or Auto-crossing or just street driving. If you are going to go all out and need your car to be absolutely precision then the Greddy might be better suited for you. The MBC is cheap and affective. If your looking for fast, cheap thrills (who isnt) then get the MBC, slap it on and put a smile on that face. Then you can give up Yoga.

BeastFromTheEast 02-17-2010 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by boxpin (Post 205971)
I think you need to try Yoga. Calm thy senses. Its not

LOL I lost it when i read that..:) I think i am going to go with the MBC, because it seems 10x easier. But if I do start dumping more money into the motor I will prolly go pick up a Profec B.

boxpin 02-17-2010 11:54 AM

That sounds like a great plan.

sarceviczm 02-17-2010 03:48 PM

I am also a noob on the whole turbo thing im used to V8s with push rods, but just for clarification when you install a MBC does the MAF and other sensors correct the fuel input for the air fuel ratio or does it leave it be and lean it out? also is there a way to turn the IPD or UPsolute chip on or off sort of like the GIAC tunes for Audi's and VW's

boxpin 02-17-2010 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by sarceviczm (Post 206007)
I am also a noob on the whole turbo thing im used to V8s with push rods, but just for clarification when you install a MBC does the MAF and other sensors correct the fuel input for the air fuel ratio or does it leave it be and lean it out? also is there a way to turn the IPD or UPsolute chip on or off sort of like the GIAC tunes for Audi's and VW's

The ECU will keep up. It is recommended that you get a new map (IPD ECU) if you plan on really above 13-14psi, sway to far and you need remapping. If boost gets to 15+ psi the fuel cuts off. You will know when you hit it. If you really go for it and change out the turbo and injectors, yes, its a must. the mapping will remove the cut off, adjust for higher fuel amounts and put a smile on the face. For what he is doing he will be fine.

Side note: you cant turn the 'chip' on and off.

philage16 02-23-2010 08:23 PM

thank god for this fourm. i love you guys.

850T5M 02-23-2010 10:18 PM

So I got my boost gauge today, still waiting for the MBC i ordered. I will be installing the gauge on friday most probably regardless of if i get the MBC by then or not...I wanna know what my car is boosted at right now so i get an idea of what I will set it at later on :)
Also, today i noticed the Wastegate was tampered with. The rod to adjust it has a second hole drilled into it which is closer to the tip of the rod...does this mean my car is already running at a higher boost? it looks like its much further than the factory specs...if i have to compare it to turns on the rod, would probably be around 4-5 turns.

sarceviczm 02-24-2010 07:27 AM

when you up the boost in your car as well can the factory bpv handle the boost or is this absolutely necessary (13-14 psi)

http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-850/Perf...p-72-143-5223/

tech 02-24-2010 08:33 PM

You might already be boosting higher.

850T5M 02-24-2010 09:03 PM

Ya, thats what i figured...I kinda hope that im wrong, I wanna see the difference between 9.5 and like 14 psi lol...instead of 13 to 14 (not as fun). Well, i'll let you guys know friday probably when I hopefully install my boost gauge.

boxpin 02-25-2010 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by tech (Post 206976)
You might already be boosting higher.

I am thinking not. My guess is that its a different wastegate actuator. If they changed it out or even kept the stock one and decided to do some rotations on the shaft there would be a different boost, but, if they drilled a hole in it (whether to make the new actuator work or after turning the stock one) it would be the same as if you didnt turn it.

If you turn it then drill a hole for the new location its just like you didnt turn it in the first place, your back to the same rod length. The only chance of a higher boost is if that actuator was replaced with a stronger one then drilled to fit his turbo.

850T5M 02-25-2010 07:30 AM

Ya you have a point there, well I'll see tomorrow. No big deal lol
Just is it dangerous if the actuator rod is turned that much (4-5 turns)? What is the difference between boosting the car like that or with a MBC?

boxpin 02-25-2010 08:29 AM

Mine is turned four, no probs.