Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

NEW MEMBER - NEW to me VOLVO 850 turbo tla

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW MEMBER - NEW to me VOLVO 850 turbo tla

Hey folks, I'm here with my 1996 850 platinum that I picked up a few weeks ago. I'm out in NORCAL for the summer but head back to CO for school in the fall. After stumbling on this particular 850 I had a a feeling it was the car for me. I had been looking for a turbo volvo wagon but all the 740's and 240's got snatched up quickly on craigslist. Even though it was automatic the rest of the car was titillating and just what I wanted. At the time of purchase I had no idea (neither did the guy selling it for ex-wife) that it was a Platinum edition. So that was a nice surprise.

Some details: 200k+ on chasis but odo was frozen for approximately 20k and its at 188 right now ticking away. Engine was replaced leses than 30k miles ago with a unit that had been guaranteed under 70k. It passed compression with 169-175psi all around and the timing belt and pcv are in solid condition but serpentine belt idler and tensioner needed to be replaced as well as torque mounts all around. Heater core and coolant hoses coming before I head back to school and AC recharge hopefully will last through fall.

The suspension needs the most work. About to install koni FSD with eibach, ipd track spec sway bars and replace many of the other little bits. Left axle boot shat itself so that's gotta go too before alignment.

Anyways very stoked on my pickup; glad to be a part of the volvo community!

BTW this is my first car with my name on the title. Excited to get my hands dirty and make bae the swagon she was born to be.

Attached Thumbnails NEW MEMBER - NEW to me VOLVO 850 turbo tla-dsc04178-pano.jpg  

Last edited by gswgn; 06-05-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

most suspension bits can be done w/o too much hassle. The install directions for the front sway bar does require you to lower the subframe to make room for the install. I'd also suggest getting the HD end links. My OEMs failed fairly quickly with the IPD bars and the HDs have lasted forever. If you decide to do the rear delta links, there is a special press tool required although some DIYs have made their own (I had a shop do mine since every part in New England cars is guaranteed to have some rust...). These cars do tend to need the AC compressor reshimmed from time to time and getting the serpentine belt off requires a special tool (IPD's works great) if it ever comes to that. Regarding the boot on the axle - a few ways to go: if you decide to pull the axle out, just get a rebuilt, its a lot easier and they go for $80-100, plus its a good time to also do the wheel bearing. otherwise you can try to repack the grease and use a glue/screw together replacement boot. If your ABS brake light is on, check the left front in case some of the axle grease got on the hub and is messing with the wheel sensor. Sounds like a great find!