Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

New Seat Skin Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man those look good. You need to come up with a price so we all know what to expect.

I have a personal request I will PM you about.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by boxpin
Man those look good. You need to come up with a price so we all know what to expect.

I have a personal request I will PM you about.
Thank you.

I'm trying to figure out pricing. If you compare them to many other seats out there they are involved (Once again Volvo going to the limits on the 850). I'm going to do the 98 V70 seats as well and they are much easier.

What you might not get an appreciation for from the photos is how comfortable they are. I don't know what the originals were like when new but my old leather was stiff. I used the best quality 1/4" sew foam(also called pleating foam) and that with the soft leather makes them amazing to sit in. The head rest(maybe the most difficult part of the job) with the new sew foam feels like a pillow.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. Those look great. I love the peanut butter color too. So much better than Volvo's hideous tan. Great job man and keep up the work!

Old 05-31-2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by gilber33
Wow. Those look great. I love the peanut butter color too. So much better than Volvo's hideous tan. Great job man and keep up the work!
Thanks Gabe. I didn't realize just how hideous the Volvo tan was until I put this color in the car. The problem.... now I want to change everything.

The transmission job is looking good, I'm envious. I see I need another 850, my platinum for comfort and luxury and the next one a smoking sleeper wagon.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bobec
Thank you.

I'm trying to figure out pricing. If you compare them to many other seats out there they are involved (Once again Volvo going to the limits on the 850). I'm going to do the 98 V70 seats as well and they are much easier.

What you might not get an appreciation for from the photos is how comfortable they are. I don't know what the originals were like when new but my old leather was stiff. I used the best quality 1/4" sew foam(also called pleating foam) and that with the soft leather makes them amazing to sit in. The head rest(maybe the most difficult part of the job) with the new sew foam feels like a pillow.
Pleating foam from my understanding is to be used for panels and detailed work. Using it for seating seems like it would break down quickly. I have all the different thicknesses in my basement, and my confidence is low for seating applications. Plus what does the leather/vinyl rate for rub wear?

Old 05-31-2010, 07:00 PM

Thanks Gabe. I didn't realize just how hideous the Volvo tan was until I put this color in the car. The problem.... now I want to change everything.

The transmission job is looking good, I'm envious. I see I need another 850, my platinum for comfort and luxury and the next one a smoking sleeper wagon.
Lol. Isn't it though? I love every Volvo interior except for the tan and the gray, which pretty much only leaves the black. Ha. Something about that tan though, I don't mind it in the P2 Volvo's, but not in 850s/x70s.

And thanks, it's starting to come together, but man, what a learning experience this has been. I don't even want to begin to add up the hours that have gone into it, but it will definitely be worth it once it's done.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by mkc70
Pleating foam from my understanding is to be used for panels and detailed work. Using it for seating seems like it would break down quickly. I have all the different thicknesses in my basement, and my confidence is low for seating applications. Plus what does the leather/vinyl rate for rub wear?

Pleating foam is made for auto upholstery http://www.yourautotrim.com/1thplfo.html

If you're interested in doing business with me I'd be happy to supply you with the requested (it's called durable rub) information on materials but right now it seems irrelevant.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:33 PM

Pleating foam is made for auto upholstery http://www.yourautotrim.com/1thplfo.html

If you're interested in doing business with me I'd be happy to supply you with the requested (it's called durable rub) information on materials but right now it seems irrelevant.
Where I ordered mine from, but confidence is still low. Perhaps a final product when your seems don't look so messy, but we can tell it is a work in progress. Instead of copying the exact seems of the old covers it would update the look to make different seems.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:06 PM

Where I ordered mine from, but confidence is still low. Perhaps a final product when your seems don't look so messy, but we can tell it is a work in progress. Instead of copying the exact seems of the old covers it would update the look to make different seems.
You're absolutely right, I'll keep working on it.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:06 PM

Making different seams would be pointless, that's where the metal bars are stitched into the seat so they can clip into the seat foams. If you move the seams the skins won't secure to the seats properly.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:10 PM

Making different seams would be pointless, that's where the metal bars are stitched into the seat so they can clip into the seat foams. If you move the seams the skins won't secure to the seats properly.
Thank you Gabe.

And even with all of the seams to sew in the 850 seat I happen to think Volvo did an exceptional job designing and building it.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:17 PM

So if it is a specific way from the factory then it can't be changed? Just hog rings and wire making those seams. No reason new ones could not be made in the foam. Look at a few new car interiors and see how they are doing the front covers for inspiration. Would also reduce the amount of exposed seams for a nicer finished product.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:14 AM

So if it is a specific way from the factory then it can't be changed? Just hog rings and wire making those seams. No reason new ones could not be made in the foam. Look at a few new car interiors and see how they are doing the front covers for inspiration. Would also reduce the amount of exposed seams for a nicer finished product.
If you had a seat apart like Gilber33 and I have you might understand.
There is a wire frame molded into the seat foam that the wire in the seat skins is hog ringed to, as well as recesses in the foam for the back of the seams and the wire. Exposed seams are a matter of preference, I happen to like them in contrasting color, others might not.

One thing I would like to do is add bolsters or bolster foam to the seat bottoms. The backs aren't bad but the bottoms are a bit flat for a sport seat.

With all of your great ideas why don't you make some skins up, post pics and we can see some of your work.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:05 AM

Finished the passenger seat yesterday then started on the new carpeting.

I'd love to refurb my seats but there's no way I can match your ability (or pay you for it just yet!) but I'd think I could tackle the carpeting. What kind of carpeting did you use and how much did you use for what's shown in the pic?

Last edited by vjaneczko; 06-01-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by vjaneczko
I'd love to refurb my seats but there's no way I can match your ability (or pay you for it just yet!) but I'd think I could tackle the carpeting. What kind of carpeting did you use and how much did you use for what's shown in the pic?
I used poly backed cut pile nylon auto carpet. It's not very flexible and is made mainly for molding but it can be used on flat surfaces easily. They also make a latex backed that is more flexible. I can't say how much I used on that space maybe about 1.5 yards, I bought a five yard roll and just started cutting. Try here.

http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/c...out_carpet.htm

Old 06-01-2010, 06:10 PM

I might be a hack, but the seats look great Bob! Oh by the way you don't happen to have the rub factor for the fire-retardant pants that my company makes us wear do you? Summertime is no fun in these babies!

Old 06-01-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by silkhope
I might be a hack, but the seats look great Bob! Oh by the way you don't happen to have the rub factor for the fire-retardant pants that my company makes us wear do you? Summertime is no fun in these babies!
John, there was a time when I had to wear clothes like that too and I think they are rated in how many rubs it takes to rub the skin off your behind, or make your skin melt from the heat they don't let out. I was always happy with 100% cotton. Thanks on the seats.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:38 PM

With all of your great ideas why don't you make some skins up, post pics and we can see some of your work.
I am, just got an industrial sewing machine for free today. You seem to be argumentative with specific questions when it comes to the actual product you are trying to sell others. These are questions the consumer will ask that you need to provide information. Simply telling others that you have seat covers and a price may be enough for some, but why no specifics? All the seat cover manufacturers online will provide the material information on their site, or email if requested. Too many sub par materials being pawned off by sellers as high quality not to ask questions. Online search for interiors will show high end exotics done very professionally. Why not instead of copying the seams, go for broke and make it better than the original. Regardless of hurt feelings, those photos of your covers are poor workmanship. Even in the thumbnails the wavy seams are evident. A newly recovered armrest with nice seams can be had on ebay for $30, but seat covers are not sold. Get better with practice and sell to the market is all, good luck with your enterprise.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:35 AM

I am, just got an industrial sewing machine for free today. You seem to be argumentative with specific questions when it comes to the actual product you are trying to sell others. These are questions the consumer will ask that you need to provide information. Simply telling others that you have seat covers and a price may be enough for some, but why no specifics? All the seat cover manufacturers online will provide the material information on their site, or email if requested. Too many sub par materials being pawned off by sellers as high quality not to ask questions. Online search for interiors will show high end exotics done very professionally. Why not instead of copying the seams, go for broke and make it better than the original. Regardless of hurt feelings, those photos of your covers are poor workmanship. Even in the thumbnails the wavy seams are evident. A newly recovered armrest with nice seams can be had on ebay for $30, but seat covers are not sold. Get better with practice and sell to the market is all, good luck with your enterprise.
I think the formulation of your argument shows poor workmanship.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:25 AM

Just a reminder of what I said

I made the arm rest cover yesterday, it's not perfect, still better than what was there, so I'll do it again later.
and again

Here's the first one, just finished it. This one turned out pretty well but the next one and everyone there after will be perfect. Why? I just bought a brand new machine that will make the job much easier, my Pfaff was never meant to do this kind of work but I managed to nurse it through.
Here is my new machine. It is very capable and is made specifically for heavy upholstery work.

New Seat Skin Project-100_1289.jpg

I use this foam, notice high quality pink.

https://www.wsusol.com/p-695-sew-foa...inch-x1yd.aspx

Not this

https://www.wsusol.com/p-695-sew-foa...inch-x1yd.aspx

It makes no sense to use cheap materials because of all of the labor involved. If anyone wants cheap please don't waste your time contacting me, I just can't do cheap and Volvo's don't deserve cheap.

Here are the specs on the vinyl I used, it is an automotive industry standard and it too is not cheap. The name is left off intentionally.

Contract vinyl upholstery is manufactured to withstand in high traffic areas such as hotels, restaurant seating, or office seating. Please refer to the specifications below for performance ratings.

Product Information
Width: 54"
Style: Plain / Solid Vinyl
Fiber Content: FRONT:100% PVC BACK:100% POLYESTER
Cleaning Instructions : WATER
Double Rubs : 250,000 DOUBLE RUBS
Lightfast : Passed Industry Standards

MANUFACTURED TO MEET THE FLAMMABILITY SAFETY RATING CONTAINED IN:
CA BUL. 117-E
UFAC CLASS I
BOSTON FIRE DEPARTMENT CODE TEST BFD IX-1
NFPA 701 SMALL SCALE TEST
PORT AUTHORITY OF NEW YORK/NEW JERSEY
MVSS 302
NFPA 260-PASSED
IMO A.652(16)8.2
BIFMA

Once again as I said before I happen to like the seams, if I didn't I might have done them differently. However, I'm not a big fan of changing the structure of the seat foam and frame, I think it risks longevity and comfort. I'm sure Volvo did plenty of prototyping and testing before they released their seats for production and they have lasted 14 years and the foam is still in great shape.

Quick Reply: New Seat Skin Project